cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting an AP

jkrainak
New Contributor III

Hi everyone - I'm going to open up a support ticket on this, but thought I would poke around a bit myself first.  Basically the problem is that I have an AP that needs to be rebooted once or twice a day.  The AP, an R710, is in our school library.  Users have excellent signal, but the network just goes wonky.  Pinging internal or external devices times out, comes back for a bit, huge response times.  Reboot the AP and all is well.  I checked the switch that the AP is plugged into for any port errors, but no problems there.

Any tips on what to use to troubleshoot?  Going to fire up Wireshark when this happens next time, but was also wondering about interference, etc.  The AP is mounted very close to cell phone towers on our roof, but I've read that this shouldn't be a problem or would always be a problem.

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

Cisco sho power inline

Gi2/1     auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4
Gi2/2     auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4
Gi2/3     auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4
Gi2/4     auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4
Gi2/5     auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4
Gi2/6     auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4
Gi2/7     auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4
Gi2/8     auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4
Gi2/9     auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4
Gi2/10    auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4
Gi2/11    auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4
Gi2/12    auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4
Gi2/13    auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4
Gi2/14    auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4
Gi2/15    auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4
Gi2/16    auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4
Gi2/17    auto   on         31.1       29.5       Ieee PD             4    

Power is good.  do me a favor please. Please run "test cable-diagnostic tdr int Gix/x" for the AP port.  Caution - this will take the port down and bring back up.  Keep term mon ON.  and once port is back up, run "show cable-diagnostic tdr int Gix/x"  See if any cabling issues

It doesn't appear that I have a "sho cable-diagnostic" command

This just happened again - I neglected to mention that I always have to reboot the same two access points.  After that, all is well.  The two access points are connected to the same switch, but no interface errors on the switch.   From a client experiencing the problem, I was able to verify a very strong connection to the AP.  I was able to ping the AP no issues, but pings to the internet and other internal devices were very long or no reply.  I logged into the web gui of the access point and was able to download the systeminfo.log, but not sure if that's useful.

Please create a case.  also did you notice that any particular radio having issues or both radios?  May be radios are bad in those APs. Support will help out to determine what is the exact issue.  Based on the info you provided, Layer-2 and Layer-1 are not an issue (cabling, connection and Power standpoints). It could be AP itself but Ruckus can help u determine that by reading logfiles from AP.