cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a internet only guest network on R610

matt_cioffi
New Contributor II
We purchased an R610 Zoneflex indoor AP for a skating rink to provide both internet only access for our members and internet and office access for our staff.  I'm new to Ruckus devices, I like the performance so far, it seems great.  But what I need to do is add the isolated network for just the members.  Can I do that directly on the device?  Do we need something else, other software, vlans on a switch?  We are only using the FIOS gateway router as a firewall.  Can I use the "Local Subnets" on the 610 to do this?
Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

hayward_kong
Contributor III
The unleashed firmware is free to use on supported APs. Only time you need to get a support contract on unleashed is if you need their tech support or if you like to report a firmware bug.

matt_cioffi
New Contributor II
The r610 is listed as supported by unleashed. So I can flash it to the unleashed firmware and manage it from the interface as I'm doing now? I do not need to buy anything or pay a subscription? Only, as you mentioned if I need to get support or report a bug? If I do that I do not need to mess with VLANS? My concern at this location is that while I do IT consulting professionally I'm a volunteer at the club. In a few years i won't be there as my child won't be skating there. I need something that I can turn over and not have to spend hours explaining. A gui that I can walk someone through is much more simple than setting up a VLAN.

Thanks.

Hi Matt,

Yes you could flash your R610 with Unleashed firmware and by using guest WLAN you can avoid messing with VLANs on internal network. However, if you hit any issues or support required later, then Unleashed support purchase is must, so purchasing support is recommended.

Unleashed GUI is simple and provide way more features than regular Standalone software. You can also expand your network by adding more APs (Max 50 APs supported on 200.7 version) to same Unleashed network and can manage it from single Web GUI.

You can download the user/admin guide from support portal for configuration reference.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/2288-ruckus-unleashed-200-6-ga-refresh-user-guide/downl...

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/2598-ruckus-unleashed-200-7-ga-upgrade-guide/download

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

matt_cioffi
New Contributor II

Thank you everyone. I have flashed to 200.6 of the unleashed as recommended by hayk.  So far so good. 

I appreciate the help on this.