cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus Unleashed R750 APs losing link with Ubiquiti Edgerouter 12--switching ports on EdgeRouter solves problem

echeng
New Contributor

Hi, everyone. I am using two R750 APs in Unleashed version 200.8.10.3.278, with both connected to a Ubiquiti Edgerouter 12, powered by Cudy POE300 60W Gigabit Ultra PoE+ Injectors.

The system is performing well, but after some time, the APs lose link with the Edgerouter. Edgerouter port lights are off, and the APs show a blinking power light. If I move the APs to other ports on the Edgerouter, the lights on the R750 units light up and start working again.

What's interesting is that after awhile, I can move the APs *back* to the original ports on the Edgerouter, and they continue to work.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

5 REPLIES 5

David
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi echeng,

It could be an issue with PoE negotiation, do you have lldp enable? I've not seen a similar issue, It could be worth to check on the Ubiquiti side too.

Thanks.

David.

echeng
New Contributor

@david_saez

Thank you for responding, David. I will toggle lldp on for the ports on the Ubiquiti side (it was not enabled).

Do you happen to know how to enable for the R750 running Unleashed?

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

It is really a pity, how people like to use "cheap" equipment -- Ubiquity PoE switches (still unprofessional) aren't even cheaper than normal enterprise gear, have no support and 1 year warranty... Using R750 with such infrastructure, OK it is an interesting decision...

The only peace of Ubiquity equipment I ever use are 50W 54V PoE injectors -- they are probably designed and manufactured to order by some professional contractor, so they are nice and reliable.

All other Ubiquity equipment, having ubiquity software inside, I just don't want to touch, because combination of cheap hardware and permanently beta-version software makes your life very difficult. And Ubiquity isn't really that cheap anymore.   

I have some Ruckus installations still working fine from 2006, without any RMAs or changes required. Old-fashioned -- yes, but still work as expected...

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

By the way, it makes no sense to configure LLDP in this case, as power is supplied by "stupid" passive PoE injector (which doesn't understanding any communication), and communication will actually happen with EDGE router will just make a more mess - as EDGE router doesn't support proper PoE at all (just pasive 24V PoE). In edge router LLDP makes sense to identify connected to each port devices, and you can use it for that. 

LLDP  can be used to communicate higher PoE power consumption only with devices supporting high power PoE, and there is no sense in trying to communicate about power budget with dumb device, which is not supporting any PoE standard at all, but has just non-standard passive 24V PoE injector on each port.   

So you need to set R750 as powered by injector, no communication  with Edge router will help, as it is used as non-PoE switch in this case...    

Your problem may be also  related  with the fact that R750 tries to communicate Ethernet speed higher than 1GB/s with Edge-router (through internal (in the Edge-router) and external injector on the port) and it  fails.  Try to set port speed on both sides to 1 GB/s with no negotiation (but such setting also isn't full-proof, some devices doesn't work without negotiation at all).

If you can, try to use different switch. You can buy on Ebay any number of older HP, Ruckus (Brocade), Alcatel, Juniper or similar enterprise gigabit switch for amount less than cost of EDGE router , and any of them will be better in functionality, more reliable and will support standards.

If you don't like to use second-hand equipment, or want to make a principal point using non-enterprise equipment, self-supported by users on forums only, than you can take Mikrotik -- they have  PoE switches/routers  with reasonable pricing, and you can have all fan figuring how to configure things, when manuals are wrong or missing, but when configured, they at least work reliably. Difference between Ubiquity and Mikrotik is in conceptual approach to they software -- Ubiquity has a target users which don't know anything about networking, so they try to remove all features, and have very simple management interfaces with only basic features. So bugs and errors in this interfaces are problematic to fix, as user isn't given info and access to do much else. Mikrotik expects they user to be a Linux and Mikrotik enthusiast, so there is quit a lot you are allowed to do with device, you just need to know how (but it is sparsely documented).

You can get a lot of fan playing with this equipment, and this is exactly the reason, why you don't want to see it on your enterprise network.