cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R720 SCG firmware change

b0mb
New Contributor III
I have bought an R720 from Ebay. I have tried many times to factory reset it using the button. Then the device successfully obtains IP address from DHCP, and I can log in using the default credentials (super/sp-admin) for one time (!), and all I see is a restricted UI showing me:

"Software Version: 5.1.1.0.3048" and also that "A Ruckus SCG is managing this device."

And I can't go anywhere from here to change the firmware to standalone or unleashed (which I wanted to do originally). Can anyone kindly suggest me where can I go from here?

Thanks in advance.
17 REPLIES 17

Hi b0mb,

This is what I was suspecting.

This AP seems registered on Ruckus Cloud AP registrar and trying to connect to Cloud account of previous owner.

Since you bought this from ebay, I am not sure if support can help you to find the account and remove it, as device is not purchased from authorized Ruckus partner/reseller.

Please reachout to ebay reseller and ask them to get the AP deleted from original Cloud Account.
Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

You can also try following as it may fix the problem.

1- Factory reset the AP.
2- Make sure AP cannot reach internet after factory reset (use an isolated switch or POE injector to directly connect with AP).
3- Now flash the AP to stand alone version or Unleashed (depending upon your requirement).
4- Post upgrade, run below command.

set scg disable

5- Now connect the AP to network and try accessing it.

There is another way to block AP-Cloud controller communication, by blocking cloud server IPs on your local firewall/router/gateway.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Follow me on LinkedIn

b0mb
New Contributor III
That's something I was thinking of, but how could I get to flash an unleashed  firmware to it? Since I can't even execute enable command from CLI, the GUI currently only allows "read-only" things and nothing else after a hardware reset...

b0mb
New Contributor III
Anyone with any ideas?

Try upgrading AP firmware using FTP or TFTP.

AP firmware upgrade using TFTP via AP CLI:

Ensure that the board is able to ping the TFTP server
Place the image in TFTPROOT directory (typically /tftpboot) on the host TFTP server

Run the following commands on rkscli prompt to flash an image using TFTP:

fw set proto tftp
fw set host
fw set control (path/Name of the image file, eg. ap-arm-qca-wsg/rcks_fw.bl7)
fw update
reboot

AP firmware upgrade using FTP from CLI:

Download the R720 Unleashed image from https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software_downloads/2510-ruckus-unleashed-ap-200-8-10-3-278-ga-ref... and put it on FTP server's root folder

SSH to AP and type below commands (Make sure that you are able to ping the FTP server's IP from AP CLI):

fw set control firmware_filename.Bl7 (This is the file name of the firmware in FTP server)
fw set proto ftp
fw set host  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (Where x.x.x.x is IP address of the FTP server)
fw set user xxxx (Where xxx is user name of the FTP server)
fw set password xxxx (Where xxx is password of the FTP server)
fw up
reboot

Syamantak Omer
Follow me on LinkedIn