cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R510 Factory Reset Incomplete or Hung?

brian_hiatt_529
New Contributor III
I have a "new to me" R510 access point that I can't seem to get into.

I've done the hold the reset button for over 6 seconds procedure several times now.

If the unit is on my lan via a port on my PoE switch, it gets an IP from my DHCP server, and also sets up the Configure.me-xxxx Wireless lan.

But I can not ssh or get https to respond on the IP issued by my DHCP server.  It does respond to ping though.  I have verified that the IP address I'm pinging has a MAC address that matches the MAC address on the R510's label, so I know I've got the right IP.

If I connect to the Configure.me-xxx SSID with the unit's serial number as the password, it doesn't issue an IP address to my client.

If I bring it up directly connected to my PC using a POE injector, it configures itself with the 192.168.0.1 IP address and using a hard coded 192.168.0.10 address on the PC I can ping it, but again I can't get SSH or https to respond at 192.168.0.1.  Connecting a client to the Configure.Me-xxxx WiFi network works, but the client doesn't get issued an IP address and I can not connect to the unit.

I don't know the history of this unit, nor what firmware level it is running other than it must be some version of Unleashed due to the Configure.Me-xxxx wireless lan it creates.

Are there any other tricks I could try to get this unit to try and respond?

Thanks,
Brian
18 REPLIES 18

Hi Brian, I think as Syamantak suggests, you just need to pre-configure your PC IP to 192.168.0.x (anything but .1, which is the AP).

brian_hiatt_529
New Contributor III
Hi Michael and Syamantak,
Here's the latest:

Held the reset button down for 20 seconds.  At about the 9 second mark the power light went red, and stayed red until I released the button.
Unit reboots, power is solid green ctrl is blinking green.
Picks up DHCP address 192.168.1.131
Ping to 192.168.1.131 is successful.
Putty/Ssh connection to 192.168.1.131 fails.  "Network error: Connection Refused".
Chrome connection via https to 192.168.1.131 fails:  

192.168.1.131 refused to connect.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Configure.Me-29ed40 SSID is up.  I can connect with serial number as password.
Wireless client gets no IP address.  Wireless client auto-configures at 169.254.40.175.  Wireless client can not connect to anything.  No DNS server, so can not resolve "unleashed.ruckuswireless.com" to bring up configuration GUI.

Try 2:
Set laptop IP to 192.168.0.10/24.  No DNS no gateway.
Use Ruckus POE Injector to power unit.
Laptop -> POE Injector -> R510 
Power on 510, wait till up, hold reset button for 15 seconds.
Power light goes red at about the 9 second count, stays red until I release the button.
Unit reboots, power is solid green, CTL is blinking green.
Laptop can ping 192.168.0.1
SSH and https to 192.168.0.1 fail as documented above.
Can connect to the "Configure-Me-29ed40" SSID using serial number as password.
Same issue as above with no DHCP and wireless client auto-configuring on the 169.254.x.y network.

Before you all tell me to get a new unit, is there anything than can be done with the USB port, or possibly a serial port inside if I take off the cover?

Thanks,
Brian

Hi Brian,

Connection refused on SSH is weird because SSH is by default open even when AP is managed by a controller.

Could you try configuring 192.168.0.10/24 IP and connect to configure.me SSID. Check if you are able to access AP over its default IP 192.168.0.1 (make sure device is not connected to your network else it will get some other IP address).

If this is also not working then there is no other way to troubleshoot further.

Opening device cover is not recommended as your device warranty will be void if you open it.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Hi Syamantak,
Please see my comment above:

I already tried the 192.168.0.10/24 setup.
Try 2:
Set laptop IP to 192.168.0.10/24.  No DNS no gateway.
Use Ruckus POE Injector to power unit.
Laptop -> POE Injector -> R510 
Power on 510, wait till up, hold reset button for 15 seconds.
Power light goes red at about the 9 second count, stays red until I release the button.
Unit reboots, power is solid green, CTL is blinking green.
Laptop can ping 192.168.0.1
SSH and https to 192.168.0.1 fail as documented above.
Can connect to the "Configure-Me-29ed40" SSID using serial number as password.
Same issue as above with no DHCP and wireless client auto-configuring on the 169.254.x.y network.

Hi Brian,

In Try 2, have you tried accessing the AP default IP when you were connected to configure.me SSID? If yes, have you assigned 192.168.0.10/24 IP? Because you have mentioned

"Same issue as above with no DHCP and wireless client auto-configuring on the 169.254.x.y network.".

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn