cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimizing client switching between Access Points

jeff_goldstein_
New Contributor III
I have a 7372 and R600 is there a way to set this up so that devices pick the AP providing the strongest signal?

I originally set them up with the same SSID but then all devices seemed to pickup on the 7372 instead of the R600, so right now I have two separate SSIDs
27 REPLIES 27

john_d
Valued Contributor II
I think it's more what functionality *has* to be wrapped into a GUI, and what stuff is not critical to network functionality is just available to tune at a command line by instruction of a support tech.

As I said, smart-roam does have its caveats, and I find on my network even level 3 is too high. It produces dead zones on my network where clients want to roam to a slightly out of range AP, which then proceeds to kick them off, and this cycle repeats every few minutes, resulting in a client that's unable to do streaming video or anything else that requires a continuous network connection.

It's useful for kicking off egregiously sticky clients, but quite honestly I have not seen one of those in ages, and the claims made about iOS being sticky, in my experience, have not been true for at least 2 major releases of iOS now.

Jeff wasn't very specific, but his issue dealt with clients picking a N AP over an AC AP. This is not something that SmartRoam can help you out with either if the client has a good reach to either AP.

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
If sticky client manufacturers work out their radio driver/supplicant issues, our
smart-roam would not be necessary. Being a corner-case usage utility, the
command was designed to be configured by ZD in configure/WLAN mode, and
not exposed at the WebUI.

bram_ueffing_69
New Contributor
@John Dong: thank you for the clear and detailed instructions, I'm going to experiment with this (using 2 7982's) to make users roam to the nearest AP in a high density setting (about 150 clients max within a single large room).

I have another, related, question: is it possible to stimulate clients to connect to a different AP when a preset number of clients are connected? In my case, I'd like to get clients to connect to the other AP when one of them has around 80 associations.

I know this will work with a ZD, but are there any options to do this standalone?

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
Hi Bram,

You can use Max client feature which allows you at set a limit. Take a look at the screenshot for more info:

Configure --> WLAN --> Edit --> Advanced settings: Max clients

http://prntscr.com/5oob1y

once set limit is reached, that AP will stop accepting new connections for that WLAN

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but I'd need to have a zone director for that though?