cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimizing client switching between Access Points

jeff_goldstein_
New Contributor III
I have a 7372 and R600 is there a way to set this up so that devices pick the AP providing the strongest signal?

I originally set them up with the same SSID but then all devices seemed to pickup on the 7372 instead of the R600, so right now I have two separate SSIDs
27 REPLIES 27

max_o_driscoll
Valued Contributor
...after reading this...thanks for info and I understand that
smart roam is configurable on APs using command line shell.

But is smart roam configurable from ZD gui (I have looked through but cannot find it on 9.9 or 9.8, am I blind)?

That would be useful! Any company types reading, how but putting that in a future f/w release.

jeff_goldstein_
New Contributor III
Is there a secondary market for the ZD 1100? I'm assuming there must be for people/companies that have upgraded or moved to a different tech solution but can't find anything like this online

john_d
Valued Contributor II
SmartRoam is not configurable from the GUI. It almost seems like certain advanced settings that require careful tuning with potential to mess up a network are not shown in the GUI.

As far as a secondary market, you can find them from time to time on eBay. However, at that point you are really on your own in terms of whether or not the hardware works, etc. This is definitely a tempting approach for home users like us, because otherwise it is difficult to justify the cost of a controller for a home deployment consisting of just an AP or two.

john_d
Valued Contributor II
I think it's worth pointing out again that adding a controller is not a silver bullet for roaming troubles. The controller will only add 802.11r/k (and with 9.9, v) fast roaming extensions, but will not necessarily force clients to make better roaming decisions, and will only make a difference to clients that actually support these roaming standards (such as iOS 7.0+ devices)

The majority of roaming issues are solved with smart-roam or client-side settings (for Windows clients that allow you to choose roaming settings), and not making your network overly complicated (like mixing a 300mbit and 1300mbit device such that the best roaming decision is no longer a simple matter of choosing the strongest signal).

Since a ZD1100 is quite pricey for a home user, you probably don't want to get one then feel disappointed it didn't accomplish what you were trying to do. The money is much better spent switching out that 7372 for a R600, or adding another one if borderline 5GHz coverage is yet another reason why clients are making a poor vs poorer choice when roaming.

max_o_driscoll
Valued Contributor
Mildly off-topic:
Tee, hee..
John said
"SmartRoam is not configurable from the GUI. It almost seems like certain advanced settings that require careful tuning with potential to mess up a network are not shown in the GUI. "

As if there were not enough settings for me to pancake my wifi network with already. I don't think adding a smart roam item on AP or AP groups page would would tip me over the edge from clumsy idiot to malign destroyer of networks.

Always interesting to see what is simplified into a gui and what is hidden back in command line.

As suspected there is no ZD gui setting for smart roam config...pity as it strikes me as one of the things that would alleviate some issues with clients holding on to unsuitable APs.