cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not enough electricity power provided with AP warning ?

george_wang_cdz
New Contributor III
After upgrading to Unleashed 200.8, my PoE switch powered R610 showing "Not enough electricity power" warning ? I am sure my PoE switch can provide both 802.3af and 802.3at power output and my R610 works well with both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID running. any idea ? 
39 REPLIES 39

anton_kuzmin
New Contributor III
Just put 802.at manually for each AP configuration in web interface
Works for me.
Group policy not working

I am setting the policy individually per-AP. That's not working consistently for any of my APs when they're connected to a switch. (But it does when they're connected to a PoE injector, oddly.)

We still don't have a real solution to this problem, and I've done everything I can through Netgear. There's no indication of any problem with the way the switches are either configured or behaving. Short of buying switches randomly to test with, there isn't really anything I can do. (And the R720 APs at least did seem to be working fine with older firmware versions.)

john_d
Valued Contributor II
FWIW some APs from other vendors support the generally agreed upon passive PoE+ injector detection. A lot of switches that are lower cost and advertised as PoE+ do the same. Unfortunately Ruckus doesn’t respect that at all and only uses LLDP negotiation of power, which is a relatively high end switch feature.

Yes, that was discussed above, though it still doesn't really explain why the AP won't use 802.3at even when set manually to that mode. The MS510TXPP is part of Netgear's Smart Managed Pro series, and certainly should support power negotiation via LLDP-MED. I also investigated with Netgear, and the settings on the switch appear to be correct.

I can't entirely rule out an issue with the MS510TXPP firmware, but this seems to have started with a Ruckus firmware update. (I had the same experience as the OP.) Can Ruckus provide any further steps to investigate on the AP side? Is there a list of known compliant switches?

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Ruckus doesn’t seem to use LLDP-MED, which is what a lot of switches seem to support because popular VOIP handsets use MED TLVs to negotiate PoE. Their APs seem to demand the “Power over MDI” TLVs which is a slightly older and different mechanism.

I also have two switches that expose LLDP-MED and my Ruckus APs don’t even bother exploring that at all and just fall back to af.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power...

Ruckus APs seem to ask for the OUI of the first two on that table but LLDP-MED is the third.