cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New site no documentation

jeff_macintosh
New Contributor II
I have inherited a site with a Zone Director 1200 and 10 access points. The previous "IT guy" documented absolutely nothing and registered almost everything in his own name. He has gone out of business surprisingly and does not return calls.
 These folks are using a simple ISP gateway device to a HP procurve (unmanaged) and a Dlink DES-1228P for the APs' POE. I'm not seeing evidence of any pre-existing VLANs. Pretty simple setup. The ISP gateway device had failed and was replaced by the ISP. Now there is no connectivity to the internet for any of the APs. Nether the subnet nor the gateway IP was changed on the replacement device. Is there a simple reason why the Access Points have no internet after the change? Does the Zone Director register the MAC address of the gateway for some reason? Seems unlikely.
I have only remoted into a local PC for initial forensics 🙂 It looks like the ISP enabled the native wireless AP on the replacement gateway device and this is what office staff are currently using. He may have used the Ruckus AP SSID names provided by the staff because the main one is called corporate something..same scheme no? Could it be this that is causing the issue?
I will be onsite tomorrow.
In the long run, I feel like I'm going to have to hard reset the ZD anyway. No one has a clue what the password might be. I tried admin/admin and super/sp-admin with no luckI think from reading here that I will also have to hard reset all of the APs as well because they will all be protected with the same password? Is there a recommended order of operations to ensure the reset process goes smoothly? 

Sorry, complete newblet to all things Ruckus.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, 

Jeff
10 REPLIES 10

sunny_gupta
Contributor II
Hi there..  Definitely contact TAC (1-855-RUCKUS-1) and hopefully your ZD is under a valid contract??  they may be able to help you get in to the controller without having to factory default, but I don't know for sure.

There really should be no issue with connectivity outbound if nothing changed.  i suspect that a different internal subnet is probably set up on the inside.  ie. the default of 192.168.0.0 but the previous guy was using a 10.0.0.0 range.  in this case, the ZD can't get out.

I suggest trying to connect a device directly to the switch (like a laptop) and seeing what IP address details you get.  have an IP Ping scanner ready and search for the ZD management IP (unless you already know what that is) and ensure they are reachable and on the same subnet.  It would be a lot easier if you could just log in to the controller.

Assuming the above is all the way it is supposed to be, there really should be no issues going outbound to the internet.

jeff_macintosh
New Contributor II
Thanks for the unbelievably fast reply!

I am unsure of the contract status so will be avoiding firmware updates etc until that can be determined.

I had an employee hook a laptop directly to the ZD and it's IP is known and part of the existing subnet. This is how we tried the passwords to login and failed of course. The IP is 192.168.2.240 and did not show up in the DHCP clients list on the gateway device so I assumed it was statically set previously. The access points do all show up in the DHCP clients list on the gateway as unknown devices, all receiving addresses from the pool on the gateway. Is this unusual?

Thanks again, 

Jeff

sunny_gupta
Contributor II
From the laptop, can you reach the Gateway IP, and the Internet?  an easy test is to ping 8.8.8.8 which is google's DNS server.  if you can ping it you have internet access, if not there is a network issue with the ISP device, probably the interface that connects through to the ZD.

jeff_macintosh
New Contributor II
I can reach the ZD and the internet while plugged into the switch from a laptop. There appears to be only the one subnet at play here. Is there any value to rebooting all of the APs manually in this case? Maybe I have made an incorrect assumption. Maybe the ZD has received the 2.240 IP from the DHCP on the gateway and I missed it. Seems odd to get an IP from the end of the pool first but I have seen it before. If the gateway device was on a different subnet prior to the gateway change would the APs still be able to connect to the ZD after the change if it was DHCP? Would they just work or have to be reconnected to the ZD? Is it a bad idea to reboot the APs?

Thanks,

Jeff