cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac airbooks disconnecting

itdept_head_me
Contributor
I am having massive problems with my R500 units and mac airbooks 10.10.5 / elcapitan
I have had support looknig at this for  several weeks and they are of the mind that it is the mac airbooks not the ruckus equipment.

the problem occurs after the computer goes to sleep, it seems to be keeping the WIFI open but not the networking infrastructure to relay the data.

Even more annoying is it only does it with the ruckus, my $20us cisco , asus & TP-link functions  without any problems., they seem to force the connection closed, ready for the mac to re-connect after it comes out of sleep.
21 REPLIES 21

I've got a case open at the moment for iOS devices (iPad and iPhone specifically, no MACs involved) for devices disconnecting (ZD1200 in my case with 4 x R510 APs).

That seems to have been traced to 802.11R (Fast Roaming) and having disabled this feature (configurable per WLAN) it seems to have settled everything down.

Certainly not ideal- but is it something you have or could try perhaps?

I'm still waiting for case resolution so not sure what the fix will be- possibly another firmware update?

Kind Regards,

Andy.

Thanks Andrew.
For us, enabling 802.11R (Fast Roaming) helped reduce iOS sleeping connection problems.  Ruck support (case 507511) suggested setting the wlan IDLE timeout to 500 minutes. Confused why disabling 802.11R works for you and enabling same helped us.

Ruckus support now believes the OSX "sleep" problem is solved on the apple client side using OSX 10.12.1.   I am testing the theory............

UPDATE:  10.12.1 does not solve all ruckus wireless "sleep" problems.  I have updated my open case with diagnostic reports.

=======================================================>
---------STEPS to capture Mac OSX wifi data per case worker-------------

"One of my Escalation Engineer had a word with the engineering team today. Based on the data given to Apple they have come back to us and informed us that the issues should be fixed in 10.12.1. So, please upgrade the MacBook to 10.12.1 and repeat the test. If you still see the issue, then please follow the below procedure to collect the logs:

- enable the seconds display on the clock.

- open a Terminal window and copy/paste: "/usr/libexec/airportd msglevel +scan +assoc +error” and press Return.

- In that same Terminal window, type: "sudo ipconfig setverbose 1” and press Return.

- Now, while holding down the Option and Shift keys, click on the WiFi icon in the top right corner and select “Debug->Enable Wi-Fi logging”. (If you see “Disable Wi-Fi logging”, the Wi-Fi logging is already enabled.)

The next time you see a connectivity problem, and *before* taking any recovery steps please:

- take a screen shot (Command-Shift-3) that demonstrates the problem and shows the clock time. It will be saved to the Desktop.

- generate a wireless diagnostic by holding down the Option key, clicking the WiFi icon and select "Create Diagnostics Report”. You will be prompted with the folder containing the report once it is finished.***

Please provide:

1) the screen shot

2) the wireless diagnostics.

3) the name of the network they expect to connect to."

<===============================================================

***[ThX CORRECTION:  no prompt, file automatically added to /var/tmp  after 3-7 minutes]

===============================================================
UPDATED 20161215-R2 added from TAC:

"I have provided the captures. Already there are so many ERs opened for this issue and Engineering team is working on it, still not sure problem is with Apple clients or thats Ruckus issue..."

==============================================================

UPDATED 20161219 talked to TAC, they are still working on known related problems.  No solutions suggested.

================================================================

martin_martin
Valued Contributor
Hi itdept_head me,

Please open a case via the support portal or provide us the case number you had , so the correct follow up can be done, including in-depth check of any available wireshark captures.

Kind regards
Martin

andrew_bailey_7
New Contributor III
Hello again,

My issue is still rumbling on too. Disabling 802.11R does seem to have improved things with the iDevices but not resolved the problem completely. I'm still seen devices falling off the network and not reconnecting.

I have increased the "Inactivity Timeout" as was suggested so I'll see if that makes a difference.

Kind Regards,

Andy.