cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Speeds Slow through ZoneFlex 7962

khanh_tran_5648
New Contributor
Hi, I have installed 22 x Zone Flex 7962's connected through a Zone Director 1100 approx 12 months ago. We have experienced in the last month a significant degradation in the internet throughput.

To test the issue, we have connected a new AP directly to the router connected to the internet running a test SSID. I then performed a speed test with a wired connection from the AP to my laptop - this gave me acceptable speeds. When i removed the wired connection and performed the same test wirelessly, the speeds were abysmal.

This leads me to think the AP is causing the issues. Has anyone else experienced this situation or have any suggestions as to what the problem could be?
4 REPLIES 4

santosh_bittu
New Contributor III
Hello Khanh,

With reference to your post, what is the version of firmware running on the ZD? Was there any changes in made in the network in the recent past after which the throughput issues occurred?
You can run a speedflex test to check the throughput and packet loss if any between the AP and ZD and also between a wireless client device and ZD. This can be done by clicking on the speedflex icon available under Monitor > Access Points > Currently Managed AP's > Action Column > Speedflex Icon.
For client devices, Monitor > Currently active Clients > Action Column > Speedflex Icon.

Also are there any interference causing devices like Microwave ovens, Bluetooth devices, Cordless phones etc in the vicinity of the AP's? These devices can induce interference on the 2.4 Ghz spectrum. You can try configuring a SSID and assign to the 5 GHz radio of an AP and check if the throughput issue persists with the wireless clients . this can be done by the below procedure:
1. Create a test SSID.
2. create a WLAN group and enable only this SSID under this group, also ensure that you disable this SSID under the default group.
3. Now select an AP and under Configure > Access Points > Edit > under 5 Ghz radio WLAN group > Select the WLAN group with the test SSID.

Also it would be great if we could get the support info file of the AP for us to investigate the cause of the low throughput issue further as the supportinfo file gives us detailed info about client statistics and interference if any experienced by the AP.

Hope this helps. All the best.

ramprakash
New Contributor III
Dear Khanh Tran,
testing on the wired side of AP and wireless side of AP is like comparing apple to orange. wireless is a different animal hence i have some follow ups questions for your post

Do you see this slow speed on wireless on all AP's on the site or its specific to a location?
Are you seeing this issue on just 2,4 ghz or both?
What kind of site is this? Are there source of interferences like door sensors or?
do you static channels on the AP or dynamic?
Do you see this issue continuous all day all week or intermittent?

regards

Ramprakash

hillo_mila
New Contributor
So, If you have internet connection speed problem with your wireless try with the following steps,
1.)Reset the wireless router by using the power switch on it or by unplugging it and plugging it back in.
2.)Place the wireless router in an ideal location. The higher it is, the better, but don't put it near metal objects.
3.)Get as close as possible to the router with whatever device you're trying to connect.
4.)Keep the router and your connecting device away from other electronics. You should especially keep away from phones, fax machines and microwaves. etc.,
5.)Adjust the Wifi antenna if it has one.
6.)Change the router's channel, especially if other wireless routers are nearby.Following these steps would give you stable internet connection and also increased speed in connection. You can check your internet speed from before and after following these steps.

hillo_mila
New Contributor
So, If you have internet connection speed problem with your wireless try with the following steps,
1.)Reset the wireless router by using the power switch on it or by unplugging it and plugging it back in.
2.)Place the wireless router in an ideal location. The higher it is, the better, but don't put it near metal objects.
3.)Get as close as possible to the router with whatever device you're trying to connect.
4.)Keep the router and your connecting device away from other electronics. You should especially keep away from phones, fax machines and microwaves. etc.,
5.)Adjust the Wifi antenna if it has one.
6.)Change the router's channel, especially if other wireless routers are nearby.Following these steps would give you stable internet connection and also increased speed in connection. You can check your internet speed from http://www.scanmyspeed.com/ before and after following these steps.