cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to do a manual upgrade on an unleashed R500 AP running 200.1.9.12.62

jrowat
New Contributor II

I have two R500 APs running 200.1.9.12.62 in Unleashed mode.   I want to upgrade them to the most recent AP firmware.  They have internet access, but clicking the "upgrade" button tells me that the server cannot be reached or the file not found (no indication of what server or what file).  The documentation has screenshots showing a Local Upgrade option and I've downloaded the latest firmware for the R500 (200.7.10.202.127) but I do not have a Local Upgrade option on my admin portal.

How do I upgrade this when the automatic upgrade fails and the local upgrade option simply doesn't appear?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vijaykuniyal
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi @jrowat ,

You can try the below set of command to upgrade the R500 AP offline, as 200.1.9.12.62 takes ZD based commands.

1:Find out the AP mac from the unleashed cli.

ruckus#show ap all

vijaykuniyal_0-1657760296963.png

2: Switch to debug mode.

ruckus#debug
ruckus(debug)#

3: Use remote AP cli commands to upload firmware on the AP in debug mode, one by one.

if using FTP use below commands

remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "fw set host FTP-UIP"
remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "fw set proto ftp"
remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "fw set user ftpuser"
remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "fw set password ftppass"
remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "fw set control R500_200.7.10.202.127.bl7"
remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "fw update"

You might see execution timeout after last command.
Wait for few minutes based on your ftp speed.(2-3 minutes) and then execute reboot.

remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "reboot"

OR

if using TFTP use below commands

remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "fw set host TFTP-IP"
remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "fw set proto tftp"
remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "fw set port 69"

Wait for few minutes based on your tftp speed.(3-4 minutes), and then execute reboot.(on TFTP you will be able to see the upload progress, take some time after the upload finishes)

Note: Bold words in the commands are variable, like ap-mac: will be replaced with 58:b6:33:01:c0:c0 as an example, similarly ftp ip, ftpuser, ftppass, tftp ip.

Vijay Kuniyal

Staff Technical Support Engineer

CCNA RnS | CCNA Wireless | CWNA | RASZA | Meraki CMNO | RACPA

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrowat
New Contributor II

I have also tried a firmware update via CLI and TFTP.  Unfortunately, none of the various instruction sets work because the "fw set [etc]" CLI options are not in version 200.1, and none of the online CLI references is older than 200.6.  Can anyone tell me how to do that in 200.1?

vijaykuniyal
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi @jrowat ,

You can try the below set of command to upgrade the R500 AP offline, as 200.1.9.12.62 takes ZD based commands.

1:Find out the AP mac from the unleashed cli.

ruckus#show ap all

vijaykuniyal_0-1657760296963.png

2: Switch to debug mode.

ruckus#debug
ruckus(debug)#

3: Use remote AP cli commands to upload firmware on the AP in debug mode, one by one.

if using FTP use below commands

remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "fw set host FTP-UIP"
remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "fw set proto ftp"
remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "fw set user ftpuser"
remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "fw set password ftppass"

Wait for few minutes based on your ftp speed.(2-3 minutes) and then execute reboot.

OR

if using TFTP use below commands

remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "fw set host TFTP-IP"
remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "fw set proto tftp"
remote_ap_cli -a ap-mac "fw set port 69"

Wait for few minutes based on your tftp speed.(3-4 minutes), and then execute reboot.(on TFTP you will be able to see the upload progress, take some time after the upload finishes)

Note: Bold words in the commands are variable, like ap-mac: will be replaced with 58:b6:33:01:c0:c0 as an example, similarly ftp ip, ftpuser, ftppass, tftp ip.

Vijay Kuniyal

Staff Technical Support Engineer

CCNA RnS | CCNA Wireless | CWNA | RASZA | Meraki CMNO | RACPA

jrowat
New Contributor II

I could kiss you, this is working and the updates are happening right now.  I'll mark it as the solution if they reboot and have the new firmware, once the transfers complete.

jrowat
New Contributor II

Worked perfectly!  Well, as soon as they upgraded to 200.7.10.202.127 they tried to connect to an R510 that I didn't even know about, and there was some "interesting" trouble since it was running 200.8, but removing it and letting the R500s boot has brought them back up 100% and now that the R510 can see THEM, I can downgrade it to 200.7 and join it to the network.   Thank you for your help, you solved my problem perfectly.