cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend WiFi Network with ZoneFlex 7363

slartibartfarst
New Contributor II
Hello

I want to extend my existing WiFi network using a ZoneFlex 7363, but I really don't know where to begin! I can access the configuration page etc, but I do not know what settings to change.

I plan to connect to an existing router using an ethernet cable and I would like the ZoneFlex to extend the existing WiFi networks already available on that router. How do I go about that?

Any pointers in the right direction would be hugely appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
oops..you cant make ZF7363 as a repeater...may be you can try doing a role reversal i.e make ZF7363 as an access point and your existing WIFI router to act as repeater.

slartibartfarst
New Contributor II
Would there be any issues in creating a new WiFi network of the ZF but give it the same SSID and password? Would devices automatically connect to it?

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Right, there's no problems there. You don't really need to "extend" the existing WiFi network. You just need to use the ZF7363 to broadcast the same SSID and password as your existing network. At that point, roaming is a client-side decision and your clients will automatically pick the AP they prefer the most at any given time, including your ZF7363.

We tend to associate the term "extending" with wirelessly extending (e.g. SmartMesh, WDS) in cases where ethernet cannot be provided to the AP. In your case, fortunately, that's not the case, so you can simply just log into the ZF7363's web interface, set up a 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless SSID with the same WPA passphrase as the other AP's on your network, and all should work.

P.S. Monnat Systems' answer is the right one in the case of wirelessly extending/repeating an existing network. That requires every AP to be a Ruckus AP, and all of them have to be managed by a ZoneDirector.

slartibartfarst
New Contributor II
Excellent. Thank you very much for your help.