cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Ruckus Unleased fully support 802.11r, 802.11k and 802.11v for best iPhone roaming experience?

michael_berger_
New Contributor II
I have seen 802.11r and 802.11k somewhere in the configuration but no 802.11 v. I'm interested in this feature for R610, R510 and R310 APs.
25 REPLIES 25

So you’re saying even though SmartRoam shows as Disabled in the CLI it’s actually enabled?

Hi Daniel,

Below is the snippet from 9.9 What's New Document, this feature was introduced in 9.9 and integrated to Unleashed.

9. SmartRoam+

To reduce the battery usage, after associating with an Access Point (AP), mobile devices like Apple’s iPhone and iPad do not scan the environment even though the user may have moved far away from originally associated AP. This would result in poor end user experience.

To solve the above mentioned client stickiness issue the SmartRoam feature was introduced wherein the AP would send ‘dis-associate’ frame to client device which will disconnect the client device. This triggers the client device to find better alternate AP.

SmartRoam+ feature of ZF 9.9 further enhances the Ruckus’ SmartRoam in order to provide better quality of experience for the end user. After associating with an AP if user moves far away from initially connected AP, then the AP will send a BSS Transmission message (part of 802.11v) to the client device. This triggers the client device to start the scanning process to find an AP that can provide better service. The client device scans the environment using the filtered AP neighbor list (part of 802.11k) provided by the original AP. While the client device is scanning the environment it continues to stay connected to the original AP.

After client device chooses a specific AP to connect to it uses 802.11r for faster transition by re-using previously-established 802.1x security keys.

Customer Benefits 
  • Client device roams seamlessly and rapidly
  • End user will have higher quality of experience
  • Client device saves battery from not having to scan all the APs and channels
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/570-zoneflex-9-9-ga-what-s-new

Sorry, I have wrongly interpreted in my previous post.

Regards,
Abilash PR.

Hi All,

To check if BTM (802.11v) is enabled please use the below command.

"get bss-trans-mgmt wlanid"

Example:
rkscli: get bss-trans-mgmt wlan33
BSS Transition Management:Enabled
OK

To confirm if the clients are 802.11v capable use the below command, in which BTM value should be '1'.

"get station wlanid info"

Example:
rkscli: get station wlan33 info
MAC Addr          AID Rate RSSI VLAN Idle ERP State Flags RecvSigStrength BTM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
xx:xx:xx:xx:54:4c   1   6M   46    1    0   0  a02b     0             -59 1
xx:xx:xx:xx:43:fc   2   6M   29    1    0   0 4a02b     0             -76 1
OK
Regards,
Abilash PR.

I see smartroam is on unleashed for the r500 but is smartroam+ enabled on unleashed for the r500? The CLI command doesn't work on unleashed.

Is 802.11v enabled by default on unleashed on r500