cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you use an electrical box for APs mounted on sheet rock ceilings?

newsfool
New Contributor III
This will sound silly, but I'm curious what everyone else does.

I have several R610's I need to mount on sheet rock ceilings in new construction. I am going to use the multipurpose mounting bracket 902-0120-0000 to mount the APs to the ceiling.

The electrician will run cat6 to the ceiling location, but I assume I don't want him to terminate in a gang box? It seems simpler if the cable just "pokes" through the sheet rock.

I am curious what others do and if there's a standardized procedure for how to handle the cable mounting to a sheet rock ceiling.

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

alex_shalima
Contributor
Hi there,

The gang box is actually a much better decision.

Even if the cables are free ran (without a conduit) in the ceiling, the gang box will save you some hassle. The holes in the back of the WAP match a standard electrical gang box holes (praise Ruckus designers right here) for a face-plate. That means as long as your gang box is secured in the ceiling, the WAP will never go anywhere (anchors falling out, someone bumping it with a ladder) and mounting it is just a breeze. In addition, aesthetics are way better too as you won't see a cable poking through the ceiling at all.

Hope this helps,
Alex

Thanks. We installed mud rings and it worked out well. I was thrilled that the external Ruckus mount lines up with the mud ring holes -- I was prepared for the hassle of installing screw anchors in the ceiling.

andrea_mijares
New Contributor III
Hello!

I have done some installations at hotels and they are really rigorous when we are talking about how aesthetic can look the AP installation for obvious reasons, So what we had done is what you are thinking, passing an UTP cable from the switch to the place that we want to put the AP and let the cable just pokes as you said and we just install the mounting bracket, avoiding in this way the use of the gang box because it looks bad aesthetically talking. So in this way basically there is just 1 object that the client or host can see not 2, and in this way the cable is "invisible" for the people too. 

My recommendation is to use a good cable and an UTP jack female connector as you will use if you have to put a gang box, so you have to add a short UTP cable; in this way if the UTP cable fails you just have to change a small part and not the entire cable that goes from the switch to the AP, because that can be expensive and inefficient.

Regards,

We have a similar scenario, where we will be installing R510s using Cat6A.  Just wondering if there are others using Cat6A and how they have found to sweep the cable into the device.  There is no room for any bend radius.  We  had planned on using a single gang box, but then to get to the ports, you would need to lay the cable in the little channel, which it doesn't fit, then bend (actually fold)  the cable 180 degrees to plug it in.  Hope this makes some sense and just looking for suggestions or ideas that others are doing.  Thanks