cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP Confusion

hafiz_nizar
New Contributor II
Please refer the imageImage_ images_messages_5f91c3f8135b77e2479027ca_ffc3ea5a510ae7a9d78ae0d6229215d2_RackMultipart201912131187091jh-f01e0edc-642d-4e60-94a6-f19685415f77-192952749.png1576209412
8 REPLIES 8

Hi Hafiz,

The gateway will be the AP's IP, depending on the config option you choose. There are 3 options as below:
Enable on Each AP.
Eable on Multiple APs.
Enable on Hierarchical APs.

On the link, check from page 374 for more details on how it works.

That's what I thought earlier based on the documentation.
Is there any way I can configure the DHCP pool from the vSZ/AP but I want the VLAN/subnet gateway is on the core switch?
Meaning, the DHCP for users will come from the vSZ/AP but the host/user gateway would be the core switch for communication with other VLANs/networks

I have got the same issue, nay update how to solve it?

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

For my understanding you can't. And even if you would be able to configure different Gateway, it would not work, as AP would prevent access to external gateway, making NAT. 

Gateway mode is designed for specific cases, when you need AP to make NAT, and DHCP functionality has to be added, so AP can provide DHCP services, as they are required in this case. 

If you use L3 switch to route VLANs (which is the most typical situation), then you don't use gateway mode on APs, and don't have DHCP function available. And normally you don't need it -- the network should already has its own  DHCP server (as a minimum, to provide IPs to APs), so just add scopes for clients to it. Also, every L3 switch supports DHCP functionality.....