cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect seperate subnets without NAT

simon_howard_66
New Contributor II
I have x20 Zoneflex7343's managed through a ZoneDirector in my school (i'm responsible for the IT) and things have run well for two years :-)

NOW we have purchased 90 iPads and have a problem...

We only have 253 IP's on our subnet and as the local authority manage the firewalls and filtering for the school and are activly blocking NAT I need a method of putting the wireless devices on a seperate subnet without using NAT to route them to the Internet.

Any idea's would be much appreciated. (I'm no Ruckus expert ;-| )
11 REPLIES 11

max_o_driscoll
Valued Contributor
Shoot me down if I'm missing an obvious gotcha...

Ruckus ZD can be configured as DHCP server with 512 IPs available (200 default).
Have a look at the help and GUI (configure/system) and see if that is of any use.

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
As Max said, you can use the DHCP on the ZD, but running 2 DHCP instances on the same subnet will probably cause you more problems than it will solve. The ZD doesn't support DHCP on more subnets.

To put devices on another subnet and routing them correctly will require you having properly configured L3 switches. Then you will be able to put all APs and the ZD on that network and run ZDs DHCP server for everything. So if I undesrtand your situation correctly you would need to talk to you LA and get them to configure your wired network like that.

simon_howard_66
New Contributor II
Hi Max

Yes I was aware of this, and that was my first port of call when the iPads were introduced and we ran out of available IP's
Unfortunately the ZD wireless subnet uses NAT to route to the LAN subnet (I think) and as NAT is activly blocked by the router\firewall (which I do not manage) no wireless devices can browse the internet which is a bit of issue 😉 they get a network connection with an IP in the correct subnet but I've been told by our ISP the issue is no support for NAT (and there never will be).
That is of course unless I set this up wrongly as I said i'm no Ruckus expert...

max_o_driscoll
Valued Contributor
Or going back 2 steps (at least) - how much control do you have of your network environment?

Are you able to add another IP range in the server DHCP scope to give you more addresses? Would be much more elegant/simple solution.