cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients not get IP address from DHCP server

mamadou_oury_di
New Contributor III
Hello

I am on a project in which I have to depoiloyer vSZ 5.1.0.0.496 and AP R510 for one our customers. Diagrams below.
But I have a problem because the clients cannot get an IP address from the DHCP server.

Any suggestion will be welcome.
Image_ images_messages_5f91c403135b77e247918e8e_262102ca1cbaffb6a2b766b4e61e5382_RackMultipart20200325108062ukw-9d4869c9-6faf-42aa-b7cc-f3e7874f9453-1817399207.PNG1585130277
Thank you in advance

28 REPLIES 28

mamadou_oury_di
New Contributor III
Hi Victor,
Thank you for the message but I can't really understand what you mean.

victor_cenac
Contributor
Ok. When a client computer connects to a network (wifi or wired), it sends out a DHCP request packet. This is a broadcast packet on a Layer 2 network. This means that the DHCP server will only receive the packet if the server and client are on the same broadcast domain, as in the same VLAN or subnet. Since you have routers between the clients and the DHCP server I am thinking that they are not on the same subnet. For these cases, network equipment manufacturers have mechanisms to forward some broadcast traffic from one subnet to an IP on different subnet (the ip of your DHCP server, in this instance). Different vendors do it differently, so you'll have to find out how yours is doing it.
Of course, this is based on my assumption that the devices are on different subnets and the traffic is routed.
You should check by connecting a client machine to the same VLAN as it would be on wifi and check if it gets a DHCP response. That will tell you that it's not a WFI issue, but just networking.

If my assumptions are correct and you can't do forwarding (bootp or dhcp), you may want to do DHCP locally, at each site. The routers at each site will most likely have DHCP functionality that you can use.

Looking at the diagram a little better, I think you expected the AP to send the traffic to the DHCP server via their management network. I think this is only possible if you tunnel all the traffic. I wouldn't do that. I would use a local DHCP server.

Agreed. The router at each of the Sites needs to have a DHCP helper set up to point to the DHCP Server IP.

In Ruckus ICX we call this 'ip helper address'
To forward a client broadcast request for a UDP application when the client and  server are on different networks, you must configure a helper address on the interface connected to the client. Specify the server IP address or the subnet directed broadcast address of the server's IP subnet as the helper address.

You would also need to configure the DHCP server with IP Scopes that are appropriate to the subnets they are serving.