cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromebooks not connecting and/or losing connection

erin_miller_708
New Contributor II
We have had our Ruckus network set up for almost two years without any problems. Over the last six months I am getting increasing complaints about Chromebooks not being able to connect or losing connectivity randomly.

Tech support keeps telling me the clients are switching between 2.4ghz & 5ghz quickly which is causing the problem. They are saying the issue is "Reason 3" meaning the client is moving between APs or too far from an AP.

These clients are sitting at their desks where they have always had reliable connectivity. They will be working without a problem and suddenly drop connectivity for hours at a time. Then, for no apparent reason, connectivity will return. When they lose connectivity, their computer will still show 2 or 3 bars (with a 40% or higher signal strength.)

I am getting nowhere with tech support. The problem is beginning to affect more of my users. It happens with more than one AP.

We are in the middle to transitioning the majority of our staff to Chromebooks so I need this fix.

I have upgraded to the most recent firmware.

Anyone have any ideas!?!
19 REPLIES 19

robert_lowe_722
Contributor III
Also, do you have any sort of heatmap for your property to show you the signal strengths in areas of the campus?  

bill_pier_77033
New Contributor II
OK, we need a solution here.  We're full on into the school term now and I've got Chromebooks failing at connections -- Chromebooks that have just fine all last year, at the same desks, with the same R300 APs in the same locations.  I've limited models, mostly Lenovo Chromebooks (N42, N21) and a few Samsung X300 -- all the same laptops from last term
After exhausting ChromeOS and Chromebook model searching for any possible problem, THE ONLY OTHER VARIABLE is that we've updated our Ruckus ZD and AP firmware by a couple of revisions, now at the latest 9.13.1.

ANYONE WITH ANY INSIGHT ON THIS MATTER?

robert_lowe_722
Contributor III
my previous questions still stand

bill_pier_77033
New Contributor II
OK, we need a solution here.  We're full on into the school term now and I've got Chromebooks failing at connections -- Chromebooks that have just fine all last year, at the same desks, with the same R300 APs in the same locations.  I've limited models, mostly Lenovo Chromebooks (N42, N21) and a few Samsung X300 -- all the same laptops from last term
After exhausting ChromeOS and Chromebook model searching for any possible problem, THE ONLY OTHER VARIABLE is that we've updated our Ruckus ZD and AP firmware by a couple of revisions, now at the latest 9.13.1.

ANYONE WITH ANY INSIGHT ON THIS MATTER?

david_henderson
Contributor II
We are a K12 district and in about 3-4 weeks will be switching our first building over to Ruckus wireless with R710s. Between now and Christmas we will be switching all of our buildings over using about 400 APs in total. We have a lot of Chromebooks so posts like this get me worried

One thing we are doing is all district owned devices will be on 5GHz and person devices on 2.4GHz. You could try that if your Chromebooks are truly band hopping