cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Unleashed to be able to use VLANS

BCMascha
New Contributor

Greetings!

Lately I have taken over an old WiFi-project which was once installed by someone in a restaurant/cafe.

Sadly enough it is a mess. The Ruckus APs are simply just connected to the router he placed, changed the SSID and called it a day. Litteraly everything is on 1 network. Guests, employees and even the checkouts! That is something we really do NOT want.

Currently there are 4 Ruckus R320 Unleashed APs hanging in the building. The idea now is to create different SSID's and VLANS so that everything is going to be seperated.

For example:

(VLANS are done in a DrayTek 2865Va, AP's connect to a P2540x)
SSID 1 = Employees = VLAN60

SSID 2 = Guests = VLAN90

SSID 3 = Checkout devices and such = VLAN 30

But as I understood it is not possible to create seperated SSIDs and point them to different VLANS with those APs.

As far as I've read and understand, I need the ZoneDirector 1200 and then upgrade the firmware of the Unleashed AP's, to ZoneFlex firmwares so that they will be stand-alone AP's, add them to ZoneDirector and then be able to point different SSIDs to different VLANS.

My question is, is this true and am I right on track? And if it is, can I then accomplish what I want? Also what firmware should be put onto them? Or is there another way/device to accomplish what i want which is cheaper? The ZoneDirector is pretty expensive, so I want to be sure 😄

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

jason_simmons_c
New Contributor III

The easiest way  to set the management vlan is just to set the native vlan that you want( eg VLAN60) and make sure that is untagged on the switch port that connects the AP ( Your AP must be on a trunk port )

If it all tagged then you can set the management vlan on the device ( I dont use unleashed in my solutions, assuming its the same) Look under configuration->device->internet you can set the management vlan.

**make sure you have your switch trunk port set correctly as you could cut yourself off from the AP if you get the 802.1q tags wrong**

This is way setting the native untagged vlan on the switch is the easiest option