cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice for implementing Ekahau RTLS

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
Hi

We're in the process of installing a WLAN for use with Ekahau B4 tags for messaging and general location tracking. I'm looking for some people that had experience with these things for some info on any configuration parameters I should be careful about. I have also written to Ekahau.

I have found an older best practice guide from Ruckus but it is old and there might be some newer recommendations. http://goo.gl/QLeFPd

What I would like to know is:

- We will use channels 1, 6 & 11 only but should I disable background scanning. I was thinking on living it on, but not use CF
- We will use B4 are 11bgn, but b is getting deprecated and I'm wondering if disabling 11b completely is a good idea?
- If disabling 11b isn't a good idea can higher basic rates be implemented? For example can the lowest rate be 5.5Mbps instead of 1 or 2Mbps?
- Anything else to look for?
2 REPLIES 2

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
OK, some answers I got from Ekahau. Hope someone can add to this.

- If you are using W tags in anywhere on site, you will need to keep b-rates on and keep lower rates on too. So 1, 2, 5.5 and 11Mbps are required.
- For B4 tags you can use ofdm-only

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
This one is for everyone that got blamed for either the Ruckus/Ekahau installation.

We recently deployed Ekahau in a hospital and there were problems with tags not connecting to server properly. Guess who got blamed for that one.

We found that the server installed on ESXi by another company was using 2 ETH cards in teaming mode in the active-active configuration which was causing these issues. I'm guessing this is either ESXis problem or the switches were blocking traffic coming from one of the interfaces. There might be an ARP-poison issue with that configuration, I don't know as the Extreme switches were installed by yet a 3rd company.

Anyway changing to active-standby solved, or disabling one interface solves it.

Maybe someone else has any ideas on this.