cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Calculate # of Possible Devises that could connect to system.

jeremy_pierce_6
New Contributor II
Is there a report, a widget that could say based on how the ZoneDirector configures the APs and based on SSID settings, that it could tell you how many possible devises could connect to the network. Then for buildings like mine that are spread out by floor you could potentially say, this floor could hold this many, yes I know with beam flex it picks up other floors. But just an idea.

In saying that, if we knew how many Devises the system could hold we could increase or decrease the DHCP pool.
3 REPLIES 3

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
It takes the talents of a wireless engineer to help architect your number and location of APs, after performing a site survey that includes the number of WLANs and security methods required to service your business requirements.  Do you have trusted and untrusted wireless clients?  Will you be applying rate limiting?  Do you use broadcast/multicast based applications?  Do you need to support legacy WEP/TKIP only scanners or printers that can limit total AP clients?  If you separate client types to different VLANs for security, you need DHCP to support X clients on the VLANs.

In general, you can "typically" estimate up to 50 clients on APs each 100 feet apart, and alternate locations between floors so that they are not right on top of those above/below for best spacial coverage.  I hope this is helpful.

jeremy_pierce_6
New Contributor II
Most least helpful post ever. I am sure your talents far exceed your ability to communicate effectively. First you assume that a wireless engineer was not involved, which was not stated in the original post, second, most of those factors you ask are built into questions, check boxes, drop downs within the gui. As the years have gone by since initial install, upgrades happen, firmwares improved and their ability change, so does the amount of people that can reach APs

And if it 50 per access point is a 'typical' estimate then Ruckus has failed at producing proper datasheets and should discontinue selling products immediately.

Your answer should have been one of two things, I don't know if it has that capability or no it does not have that capability.

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
My appologies for misinterpreting the message.  The suggestion of a "widget" would make a fine Idea (rather than question) post, which Product Marketing can review and consider.