cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any reason I shouldn't buy the ZoneFlex 7982 as a component in my network driven by ZD1200

peter_w_9h7tcet
Contributor II
Hi there.  Upgrading network and adding Ruckus switch and ZD1200.  For my main APs I have settled on ZoneFlex R720s (I think).  For individual rooms out of coverage I was looking for a good cheaper option.  Any reason I shouldn't buy the ZoneFlex 7982?  I know they are older, but they look well specified and there are still new ones dirt cheap on eBay.  They also look like they are designed to sit on desks which makes them more convenient.  I know they are old, but still seem to be supported by Ruckus and compatible with the ZD.
5 REPLIES 5

peter_w_9h7tcet
Contributor II
Just read a little more.  Would I be better advised to get a Wave 2 device such as the 510 for my cheaper APs?  (I'm going for fivee 720s and three cheaper ones).  I have a fairly cheap source for the 720s and can stick to same type throughout if there is any advantage?  I did like the 7982 as it seemed to be designed to sit on a desk, but I'm sure a 510 or 720 would do just as well on a desk.  Thoughts please? 

ms264556
Contributor II
All non-wall-mount APs sit nicely on a desk.
The 7982 is quite large - same ballpark size as the R720 (but less ugly) - and way too old to mix with R720s. If you're using wired ethernet to the APs in the individual rooms then R320 is nice and small. R510 is also not too huge. If you don't need tons of range then wall mounted H510 or H320 look ok and are easy to install if you have existing ethernet wall-plates.

ms264556
Contributor II
Also, are you sure you need the ZD1200? I don't have an ICX switch, but I was under the impression these worked just fine with Unleashed.

peter_w_9h7tcet
Contributor II
Hi Anthony.  Thanks for the advice.  I was advised on another forum that this would help resolve the issues I have with poor roaming and my network dropping certain clients from time to time.  In any event, I already have the switch and ZD on order and now I'm down to AP selection.