cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Point keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

tim_franklin_68
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have a network of 300+ access points and a zone director to manage. I have one AP that keeps disconnecting automatically. It stays on for about a minute then disconnects for several hours. It does this several times every day.

My aim is to locate the AP so I can check the cable / replace the AP. My problem is that I have no way to locate it. I have tried to use the MAC address to search my switches mac address table but it is gone too quickly.

Does anyone have any ideas to locate a disconnected AP?

Many thanks,

Tim Franklin

5 REPLIES 5

bill_burns_6069
Contributor III
Assuming you have an IP address: On a linux system try doing a "ping -a" (audible)
This will give you an audible alert when the AP is responding to pings.
If you don't have a mac address (and the linux system is in the same subnet as the AP)  then (in another window) do an "arp -a ".

Then (assuming you have managed switches) open a CLI on a switch in your environment + type (for cisco switches) "show mac address address ma:ca:dd:re:ss:of:ap". (or the equivalent command for your switch)

Start with the switch that your controller is connected to.
find out what switch is connected to the port where this AP's MAC Address lives.
Then try this same command (while your "ping" command is beeping at you) on the next switch and the next until you arrive at the switch and port where your missing AP is connected.