cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP to ZD over WAN - Client DHCP Connectiviity Help

tech_team_5dfvl
New Contributor III
I have APs (R710) behind a cable modem connecting to a ZD (1200). The APs connect and upgrade their firmware just fine, and with SSH tunneling enabled on the WLANs, they're able to broadcast the WLANs, but clients are not receiving IPs from the DHCP server. Here's my layout:

Router
v10 - Management IP/24
v90 - Public IP/28
v100 - WLAN 1 - Public IP/30

Firewall / NAT Device
v10 - Management IP/24
v90 - Public IP/28 - Outdoor APs/MESH will use this LAN for IP connectivity
v100 - WLAN 1 - Public IP/30
v101 - WLAN 1 - 10.20.1.1/16

DHCP servers for v90 and V101 LAN live here.

ZD1200
v10 - Management IP/24
v90 - Public IP/28

Modems -> APs out in the field.

Feel like I'm missing something simple to get this to work. Should the DHCP servers be outside these networks with their own public IPs, and then enabling DHCP relay for the WLAN, for this to work?

The current setup is leftover from on older Cisco setup that we're upgrading. Maybe I just need to redesign all of this so it'll work with Ruckus. Any tips/ideas are welcome. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

albert_pierson
RUCKUS Team Member
Hi

If you are tunneling the WLAN's to the ZD and have configured the WLAN's to tag into specific VLAN's then the AP's will add the configured tag to customer traffic on those SSID's/WLAN's which will be carried through the tunnel and egress the ZD into the network

You need to make sure the ZD is connected to switch ports that carry these additional service VLAN's (as tagged) and that the VLAN's have DHCP services, either by direct DHCP server on the VLAN or using DHCP relays with the correct subnets.

DHCP services must be provided remotely as the ZD does not provide DHCP services except on a limited basis for lab work, and only on its management/default VLAN.

I hope this helps.

tech_team_5dfvl
New Contributor III
I guess I didn't explain things well enough, so I made a diagram.

https://www.draw.io/?lightbox=1&highlight=0000ff&edit=_blank&layers=1&nav=1&titl...

tech_team_5dfvl
New Contributor III
I'm an idiot .. Didn't have the WLAN VLANs trunked all the way down to my office for testing...

albert_pierson
RUCKUS Team Member
I was not sure where the AP's fit in the diagram you provided. but if the WLAN's are tunneled through the ZD, then the client service  VLAN's only need to exist on the ZD port, so tunneled and tagged traffic egresses the ZD bound for the correct networks. Only the AP management VLAN of 90 needs to exists from the AP's to the ZD (hopefully untagged at the AP side for ease of deployment  - but that is another topic!)