cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7731 PtMP to AP's instead of to another 7731

mark_young_6200
New Contributor III
Can a 7731 be used in PtMP mode to shoot a signal to 7363 AP's? (or other Ruckus AP's ?)

I have a situation where i need to get signal inside some apartments across a parking lot from where the WAN equipment is and its proved difficult so far with a 7762 - i do get a signal in those apartments from a 7762 but its very weak.

Since i had a lightning strike to that 7762 i only have 7731's left in stock (local Ruckus agent does not keep stocks in country so long lead times to get radios)

So in order to get this job done i have to use what i have at hand.

I have 4 x 7731's and 8 x 7363's plus a few other AP's (7321, 7341, 7982 that i brought in so i could actually see the product as the agent does not do this)

So the question - can i use a 7731 in PtMP mode to get a signal to a 7363 (since dual band)?

If i cant do that to a 7363 AP , would a 7982 AP be any different?

If possible i dont want to use a 7731 on each end then run ethernet from the 7731 to one of the indoor radios i have.

Will what i propose work? If not how else can i do this?
19 REPLIES 19

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
Well, you need to have some stock. That goest with the territory of being a VAR or a distributor, but yeah, lead times are ridiculous sometimes.

But I'd disagree with you on the price. RW is by far the cheapest solution out there. When you take into account the fact you have to have less APs or get higher BW with the same amount, you realize that it's the least expensive.

I remember we lost a project to Mikrotik a few years ago as we were some 2000€ more expensive in a project worth around 50k€. But now they have Mikrotik that actually doesn't work as it should. I'd say that costs them infinity more than RW that does work.

kalyan_408792
New Contributor
Hi Mark,

As Primoz mentioned setup a PtoMP link using whatever number of 7731s you have. Then connect a 7363 or a 7982 to the NRB using a cable. You can call this a RAP. You can have other APs mesh to it if you really want it. Alternately, if the setup permits, connect a switch to each NRB and then connect how many number of APs you want in each building to this switch.
Please make a note that 7731 provides a directional coverage (unless you use an external antenna). Hopefully all your buildings are within the coverage beamwidth.
Just to close this, mesh needs a ZD.

All the best.

Kalyan

kalyan_408792
New Contributor
Hi Mark,

Hopefully you are talking to Michael and Rob on this. We are here to support as well.

Kalyan

mark_young_6200
New Contributor III
@Kieth,

Yes understand. I have been working with our Ruckus GOD in this part of the world about this ...its been going on for well over a year now. Still the same story.

Example.....i just landed a new hotel to outfit with Ruckus gear. I had 2 x 7762's on hand. I need 3. Installed the 2 x 7762's and they do a WONDERFUL AMAZING INCREDIBLE job. Can you tell i LOVE ruckus? But i have to shoot a signal to an apartment complex that is part of this hotel. Its across a car park, so cant get a cable over there. Mesh is the answer. Need another 7762 to close the mesh link. I didn't have one (do now - thanks to the fantastic support Ruckus provide - managed to resuscitate a 7762 that we thought was dead) So i tried to come up with a way to use what we do have in stock (7731's). If i had to order a 7762 i would have to wait 2 to 3 weeks to get it - the hotel wont wait that long.

Now as professionals in this trade we all "get" the issues. The customer doesn't. The customer has a lot of choices and providers chasing their business. I am the one who got it. Now i need to perform. But i cant get the radios i need, like, yesterday. This is a problem and Ruckus does not seem to understand this. I have a business to run, employees to pay. Business is hard to get as it is. I land a peachy job but cant get my chosen radio tech...frustrating!!

Bottom line is the tech is the best. Really. The supply not so great......

mark_young_6200
New Contributor III
@Primoz

Ummm, i beg to differ. It cost me 2K to land a 7762 in our country with import costs and duties/local taxes. I see the prices online in the US and cry. If only i could get them here that cheap. Alas, it will never be.

But i do concur 100% that we use less radios per site then anything else i have ever used. Its simply amazing how far the signal off a 7762 goes!!

If anyone who reads this and thinks this is hyped up marketing BS...its not! You just have to see this to believe it !!

I'm not sure whats happening in your market but here everyone and i mean EVERYONE goes for Ubiquity NanoStations and others in the Ubiquity family. Of course its not even close in terms of quality and signal range/throughput. But the market wants cheap and Ubiquity give it to them. Bottom line is you and i can sit here all day extolling the virtues of Ruckus over .......(fill in the blank) while the end user is demanding cheap and cheerful and is largely uneducated on Wifi WAN links and quality and now thinks wi-fi is cheap as chips and gasp absolute horror when i mention the price of Ruckus gear.

Of course those of us who are professionals in the trade know better. So the job is to sell to the unwashed masses and convert them. Made Sooooooo much harder when we cant get the stock we need, because the local agent simply does not keep stock. At all. Period ! Not even power supplies which blow here on an almost weekly basis because our power grid is so poor.

But i do understand the situation. Ruckus is expensive (here at least) and the market has numerous choices (we have a really switched on Trendnet agent here - a real go getter and he gets the lion share of the professional market here...LOTS of Trendnet stock in this country...except i am loyal to Ruckus and therefore get left without radios when i need them.) and given the local penchant for cheap cheap cheap, its going to be an uphill battle to get Ruckus embedded in this country. So i can see why the local agent is leery about sinking 50K into stocks of Ruckus gear.

If i were the agent here i'd do it, but i am not ( please please please Ruckus - test us out on this and see if we are willing to put our money where our mouth is - you might be surprised how quickly we place that 50K order for stock). We are just the lowly installers who make all this magic that Ruckus provide, happen. 😉