cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 x Ruckus R600 for USD$315. Good deal for new house build?

karan_singh_6pu
New Contributor II
We are currently building a new home that is single storey and around 3000sqft. I was looking into Ubiquiti Nano HD but I am able to get second hand 2 x R600 with PoE injectors for US$315 in my country from a IT distributor that comes with 1 year warranty. The condition of the R600 is excellent. Is this a good deal for 2 units and from your experience will this cover a 3000sqft house with timber framing? I plan to use it with unleashed firmware. Is wave 2 really a game changer that R600 does not have being an older model? Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

Piet
New Contributor III

Most of the features in Unleashed seem like more than I need for the R700.

The interesting feature is Roaming, which is supported in the R700 CLI.

Not obvious what the root or controller code does for Roaming. 

Want a fast transition while talking on my cell phone over the wifi.

The new 802.k standard would help but that is not cheap for Ruckus gear yet.

Wondering if I can get decent roaming with the existing r700 config cli.

Unfortunately, many of the roaming parameters are not well documented.

Any pointers on using the R700 CLI for roaming. I only found one Ruckus doc

that documented about 30 percent of the parameters. 

Piet Delaney

Thanks. I take it if I purchase the Zoneflex model, I can easily change its firmware to unleashed or do I need to purchase the unleashed firmware model if R710? If it’s allowed, can you please also link me to the ebay buyer you purchased from as they may be selling more units.

Yes, you can get the Zoneflex R710 model and flashed it to unleashed. I recommend the unleashed firmware 200.6.10.x as i know myself and a few others have issues with iOS devices on firmware 200.7.10.x .. mainly it's the slow downloads and extreme uploads. Hopefully they'll fix it on 200.8.x firmware. As for a link.. not sure if that would violate the forum rules..    but the reseller is currently out of stock of the R710 and they normally restock pretty soon I think.   The reseller ID on ebay is  ethosdynamics and they provided 1 year warranty with all their product they resell.  So far I got pretty good customer service from the reseller since one of the R710 I got was not reachable by web gui or SSH since it refused connection so I sent it back with their shipping label.  Also just not any of the used Zoneflex you might get on ebay more likely was attached to a ZoneDirector or such so you would need to reset it and then upload the standalone firmware then upload the unleashed firmware.   Also not sure if  ethosdynamics will ship out of the US. Which country do you live in?

Thanks. I live in New Zealand

Where in NZ do you live? I have a cupboard full of spare Ruckus APs and injectors in Christchurch, bought off TradeMe a few months ago when they were very cheap. I think I still have at least a couple of R600s in there which were NZ$150 each.