cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 ZD1100 on Same Network - Configuration QUestion

central_park
New Contributor II
I have one ZD1112 + 12 @ 7363s currently running on my network at my hotel.

I have a  ZD1125 + 12 additional 7363s that were intended for another hotel but they turned out not to be needed.

I want to extend the coverage in my first hotel to get rid of some dead zones.

I am planning to put the ZD1125 onto my network and install the 12  additional 7363APs. that I have in order to accomplish that.

What I want to do is plug in the ZD1125 to the existing network and add the new APs to it. But I want all the new APs to appear as if they are part of the same existing WLAN that is on the other ZD1112.

There is only one WLAN on the other ZD with 12 APs on it. Working fine.

Is there a way to configure the ZD1125 so that when I plug it in and add the new APs they act as part of the original WLAN on the first ZD1112?

Both ZDs are Version 9.4

Thanks for any help
7 REPLIES 7

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
Hi Central Park..

what you are trying to do is simple and i am assuming that ZD1125 will work along with ZD1112 and both will manage its own set of AP independently.

1. take backup from ZD1112 and apply it to ZD1125 while it is offline. this will make new ZD learn configuration from ZD1112 and no manual work.
2. post application of back up, just give it a new and unique IP. Bring it online.
3. Configure the new AP's with static ip and provision them to join the new ZD1125 IP with set director command. Make them online. with this command, AP's will not go to any other ZD in the network.

set director ip a.b.c.d

hope this helps.

central_park
New Contributor II
Thank you so much! That sounds simple so I will try that in the next day or so And answer when I have see what happens.

central_park
New Contributor II
A few followup questions please:

1. I assume that the the system name on the ZD1125 should also be different from the ZD1112?

2. When I restored the ZD1112 config -> ZD1125 - It also included all the 7363s that are currently connected (managed by) the ZD1112. I could delete them of course BUT ...

> My long term plan is to migrate the existing APs over to the ZD1125 in any case.
           - When I plug the ZD1125 into the network what will happen?
                  >Will the existing APs reconnect to the ZD1125 immediately?
                  > Or they will connect to the ZD1125 next time they reboot?
                  > Or will they continue on the ZD1112 until I turn the ZD1112 off, then transfer their             allegiance over to the ZD1125 when the can longer speak to the original ZD1112?

My restraint is to disrupt the running network as little as possible as we are always full of guests 🙂

My thinking is this - different from the original question - If I can transfer all the existing APs over to the ZD1125 in a manner that doesn't take the network down for very long, then I can just add all the additional APs in the regular manner without having to do the set director command.

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
Below are my responses:

1. I assume that the the system name on the ZD1125 should also be different from the ZD1112?

Yes, you need to give a distinct name to ZD1125.

You raised good questions below at the right time.

- When I plug the ZD1125 into the network what will happen?
                  >Will the existing APs reconnect to the ZD1125 immediately?
                  > Or they will connect to the ZD1125 next time they reboot?
                  > Or will they continue on the ZD1112 until I turn the ZD1112 off, then transfer their             allegiance over to the ZD1125 when the can longer speak to the original ZD1112?

Since ZD1125 is of higher capacity as far as i know, exisiting AP's will join ZD1125(because AP look for high capacity ZD i.e Licence) when they reboot as both ZD's are in same network To prevent this i would suggest that you go to ZD1112 --> configure --> AP --> Access Point Policies -->
enable - Limited ZD Discovery and then enter ZD1112 IP in first box and 0.0.0.0 in second box. this will ensure that exisiting AP's connect only to ZD1112 and will not go to any other zd even after reboot.

Once this is done, make the new ZD online and put the new AP's to network after running the command i suggested.

You can also PM me on monnat@outlook.in