cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misleading description of ZonePlanner

michael_brown_5
New Contributor III
We purchased ZonePlanner to help fix some dead spots in our district. We imported our maps fine and started to do the layouts but needed to do a site survey to check some areas only to discover that we cannot unless we upgrade to AirMagnet Pro. On the ZonePlanner website it says "Quickly validate results against “active post-deployment” site surveys" implying that you can do site surveys. On https://support.ruckuswireless.com/an... it says "use the site survey tool (such as AirMagnet) in “associated mode”" which according to the ZonePlanner site it is power by AirMagnet which also leads me to believe that it can do site surveys.

We asked our reseller and they said that we cannot return the software and also they do not sell the upgrade to AirMagnet Pro because it is not a Ruckus product. I now feel that we have a product that while it is a good planning tool does not fulfill our needs. If I would have known we can't do site surveys we would have just purchased "Ekahau Site Survey Premium Pack" for not that much more money and got much more advanced troubleshooting tools plus hardware to support it.
6 REPLIES 6

I'm not trying to do a planning, I'm doing estimates.
Next to it, im working mostly in open space where the attenuation wil vary due to many more variables.
The estiomtes are purely commercial and preliminary to complete surveys.
And I do not think that it's correct for the Prestige of Ruckus to sell this tool this way. I have a license of Ekahau too but was reluctant to buy more licenses.
I can make the estimates even by hand, but to the customer it's not the same and not fast. So I thought I buy this oem tool to have at least a presentable result.But this software does not even displays the full range of AP's and antenna's well.

So am i disappointed, yes.

Sorry, but I'm havin problems understanding you. What kind of estimates do you want to do? If you want to impress the customer just take 1dB walls and everything will be green and the customer will like it. There isn't a tool in the world that will enable you to make a good prediction if you do not measure attenuation through walls first.

But in the end the ZP is one of many tools you can have. It's not the best, but for an estimate it will allways do.