cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why use "tunnel mode"

bob_williamson
New Contributor III
There is an option in the WLAN settings that states "Tunnel WLAN traffic to ZoneDirector (Recommended for VoIP clients and PDA devices.)"

From what I understand it forces all traffic through an L2TP, which to me seems like it would introduce some latency.

If so, why does it say recommended for "VOIP and PDA devices"?

Thanks,
Bob
7 REPLIES 7

jelle_alten_606
Contributor
Tunnel mode encapsulates traffic on the WLAN and tunnels it to the ZD, avoiding disruptions to delay-sensitive operations like VOIP. Especially with inter-subnet roaming. So even when changing subnets, the devices in the tunneled WLAN wil stay on the network that the ZD is connected to.

When use tunneling to help with wifi calling Bonjor services stop working is there a work around for airprint and airplay to work when tunneling is swicthed on

Thanks

Ed

When i turn on tunneling to help with wifi calling airplay and airprint stop working is there a work around for this problem

bill_burns_6069
Contributor III
I don't know why tunnel mode would be recommended for VoIP or PDA devices.
(though I'll trust what Jelle has to say)

By default, Ruckus APs bridge wifi traffic directly to the local wired ethernet connection.
Tunnel mode is useful when you want your wifi traffic on a VLAN that isn't (or can't be) carried on the ethernet cable where your AP is connected.

This is common in remote locations or other situations where you want a common wifi SSID/VLAN/Subnet even though your wifi traffic is carried over a routed infrastructure.