cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Role of the ZDs

JJeffery
New Contributor

Hi

(Firstly, sorry if this is a duplicate, but the first attempt using 'Ask The Pack' disappeared in to the ether after I created my account)

I've inherited the WiFi setup here. We have two 1100 ZoneDirectors (long out of support!) in control, but what I don't know is whether the APs would still provide a working WiFi with connectivity to the internet if both ZDs went offline such as due to a power outage. i.e. is the role of the ZDs just to provide configuration and monitoring, or do they act as the link between the APs and our Firewall?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

karthik
RUCKUS Team Member

Unless you do not use Tunneled WLAN, Autonomous WLAN can help you here. 

Refer here : https://whnetwork.wordpress.com/2021/09/23/autonomous-wlan-auto-recovery-failover/ 

Thanks
Karthik.

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor

Hello,

To add to Karthik's comment; A ZoneDirector controlled network very much relies on the ZoneDirector (ZD) for the Wi-Fi network to correctly function, within itself. The ZD doesn't directly interface with any other network equipment on behalf of the Wi-Fi.

The autonomous functionality is very much for an emergency situation where ZDs are temporarily offline/unavailable. 

I would recommend looking at migrating to Ruckus Unleashed or Ruckus Cloud but you will need to check compatibility with your legacy APs.

I hope that helps,
Darrel.