After upgrade from 220.127.116.11 build 140 to 18.104.22.168 build 204, 10 of our 39 R700 have 100% CPU utilization for at lease 20 minutes after the upgrade. If we reboot the R700 the CPU is still 100% CPU (0 clients has been connected).
In the support file we noticed that the /usr/bin/matrix process was responsible for that.
We opened a case for that 00414781 a P2.
After one hour after the upgrade we decided to downgrade to version ZD3000 22.214.171.124.101, this version has the same behaviour.
Does someone have this same behaviour with this software version ?
Do you have details about the processes /usr/bin/matrix
Yup, I've had a case open for this for R600's for a while now. I've been told a fix has already been developed and will be available shortly, but I'm trying to get it backported to a custom firmware I'm already running to fix another issue. The timeframe for this fix to be released I was told was 9.13 - sometime in June.
Initially (I've had this going on for a while now) I didn't have any client connectivity issues related to this, but they have started cropping up now and then now
We're on redundant ZD3000's so that doesn't surprise me. I was just about to see if I could hurry our ticket up as I'm now starting to get reports of users not being able to connect, which at this point i'm attributing to this. We've got just less than 200 R600's all affected so thigns are a little painful at the moment