cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Ruckus/ZD can provide some minimal location services/information (by triangulation) And yours should too.

bill_burns_6069
Contributor III
Ruckus should include a feature similar to:
This script I wrote that downloads the results of a "get detected" command from a ZD controller. (and processes the downloaded data a bit)

Now I can do this:

fgrep 10:68:3f:ef:15:da getdetected | ./apnames.sed
be-7982-3-n 10:68:3f:ef:15:da 128
be-7982-325 10:68:3f:ef:15:da 250
be-7372-229 10:68:3f:ef:15:da 341
be-7982-1-s 10:68:3f:ef:15:da 184
be-7982-3-s 10:68:3f:ef:15:da 360

To find all the APs that can see the mac address of a particular client, along w/ the Signal-To-Noise ratio (in dBx10) seen by each AP.

Now I can (mentally) triangulate the position of the client based on signal reports from each AP.

Let me know if anyone (else) wants this feature.
13 REPLIES 13

oliver_hall_716
New Contributor II
Hi Bill, We're trying to achieve something similar to what you've done. Would you be willing to share any info on your script, or how you're parsing the output of "get detected"? Many thanks, Oliver

bill_burns_6069
Contributor III
Wow. You're straining my memory.
Let's see...

I wrote a script called "ruckusconf" that I used to automate ruckus commandline stuff.
That can be found here:
https://github.com/bot779/ruckusconf

The command I used to download the "get detected" output was:
./ruckusconf --debug --outfile getdetected --timeout 300 --command 'rksap_cli -A "get detected"' $CONTROLLER
(Where $CONTROLLER is the IP of your active ZD controller)

In order to get things going quickly (in case you have trouble getting the ruckusconf script working) I'd suggest invoking the linux "script" command, ssh-ing into your ZD, getting into debug mode and then typing:
rksap_cli -A "get detected"

I don't know if the output of "get detected" has changed since the last few firmware updates...

The apnames.sed command was autogenerated by another set of scripts called makeapnames.sed and getruckusapnames.
That can be found here:
https://github.com/bot779/getruckus

Again, this depends on certain behavior of the ZD which may have changed.
(in this case, responses to SNMP queries)

The "showdetected" script cleans-up the "get detected" output a bit and puts it in the file called "getdetected".

I guess I didn't consider that script to be "clean" enough 'cause I didn't post it online anywhere.

See if you can download the output of "get detected" to a file.
If you can, you should be able to get some level of function just by grepping for the mac address of a client.

Let me know if that worked for you (or how far you got) and I'll see if I can clean-up the rest of the scripts.

oliver_hall_716
New Contributor II

Hi Bill,

I'm loving the scripts 😉  Thanks very much indeed.

I've got the output from "get detected", so if you can shed any light on the format of that data I'd be even more grateful!

All the best,

Oliver

bill_burns_6069
Contributor III
The output of "get detected" has changed and my old script isn't working.
I'll get it working w/ 9.9 soon.
What version are you running?

oliver_hall_716
New Contributor II

Hi Bill,

Many thanks for helping with this.

We're currently on 9.7 but we'll look at upgrading.

Cheers,

Oliver