cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Ruckus/ZD can provide some minimal location services/information (by triangulation) And yours should too.

bill_burns_6069
Contributor III
Ruckus should include a feature similar to:
This script I wrote that downloads the results of a "get detected" command from a ZD controller. (and processes the downloaded data a bit)

Now I can do this:

fgrep 10:68:3f:ef:15:da getdetected | ./apnames.sed
be-7982-3-n 10:68:3f:ef:15:da 128
be-7982-325 10:68:3f:ef:15:da 250
be-7372-229 10:68:3f:ef:15:da 341
be-7982-1-s 10:68:3f:ef:15:da 184
be-7982-3-s 10:68:3f:ef:15:da 360

To find all the APs that can see the mac address of a particular client, along w/ the Signal-To-Noise ratio (in dBx10) seen by each AP.

Now I can (mentally) triangulate the position of the client based on signal reports from each AP.

Let me know if anyone (else) wants this feature.
13 REPLIES 13

keith_redfield
Valued Contributor II
Very cool Bill! We of course have a full location services offering but I suspect you're seeing this as more of a diagnostic tool (which SPoT can't be used for much)

bill_burns_6069
Contributor III
My use case is:
"Where's that so-and-so client with peer2peer malware sharing turned on!"
and
"Why am I associated to *that* AP and not the one I'm standing next to?"

Somehow I missed last month's SPoT product announcement.

...that requires 9.8 firmware to be installed.
Did that really come out 4 days ago?
I guess I missed that too.

Oh, yes.. and like SPoT, my script provides data that allows me to Trilaterate. (not triangulate)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilater...

Do you have any idea if 9.8 provides more SNMP data to make this process quicker?
It takes me almost a full minute to download all the "get detected" info from the controller.

test_user_57241
New Contributor
I don't think 9.8 improves on the querying of SNMP based RSSI. SPoT uses a completely different process (the AP actually pushes the data to the cloud service)

9.8 was not announced because it's not yet GA - so it's in controlled release (LCS) phase. It's a little more public than usual because the new R700 802.11AC AP requires 9.8.

Test User = me (forgot I was logged in that way)