cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating ZoneDirector 1100 to Virtual SmartZone

ruckus_ac
New Contributor

We have a ZoneDirector 1100 and 7363 APs, and would like to migrate the current configuration (e.g. retain dynamic PSKs, VLANs, SSIDs, etc.) to a brand new Virtual SmartZone with R650 APs setup. I figure that the best route would be migrating the ZoneDirector first to the vSZ, and then simply onboarding the R650s. 

However, it looks like the firmware version of the ZoneDirector needs to be at least 9.13.x for the migration to be supported but the highest available update is 9.10.2.0 build 130.

Am I just out of luck here and can't migrate the ZoneDirector 1100? What are my options to minimize downtime and avoid having to start from scratch?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

David described everything correctly, just to be clear - ZF7363 will not work on 10.4 firmware version, so they need to be replaced. There is no way to use ZF7363 and R650 on same controller (and it actually doesn't make much sense, as performance levels are very different).

Even with Smartzone, where you can create zones with different firmware, it will be not possible to run both APs, as ZF7363 requires zone firmware to be on v. 3.2.1, which is not supported even on 3.6.2, and later releases (current is 6.0, which doesn't support any legacy (802.11n/g) APs and firmware versions older than 5.x).

Anyway, ZF7363 are too old (802.11n, 4 generations behind current APs) to be used in production. Of cause, they still can be used in some less demanding environment, probably together with replaced ZD1100 (which is also 10 years old).

I agree 100%, the 7363 APs are ancient and a drag on wireless performance so they are being retired completely. Thanks.

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

By the way, theoretically it should be possible to migrate from ZD1100 to vSZ, using ZD1200 as a middle step -- migrate to ZD1200, than upgrade it and migrate to vSZ. In this case you need temporary access to ZD1200 in the process. What to choose, depends on the AP number. Usually making configuration from scratch doesn't take more than 1 hour, so it is not that much work. Also,  new firmware versions for ZD1200 or SZ provide a lot of new features, so most probably configuration migration isn't even making much sense. 

Personally I would install new network in parallel (or at least 1 AP), enabled Radius with AD, and tested that all clients can be switched to new network, than turned off and (a bit later) removed old equipment. It is not optimal to run 2 kits of AP collocated, but for a limited time it should be not a real problem.

And whenever possible (when there is some virtualization already in place, which nowadays almost any company has) , I would use vSZ controller, as it removes any possible issues with controller hardware and possible future incompatibility with new firmware versions.