cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to achieve Band steering on ZD1200?

SmallPotato
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I have a question that how can we push users connecting to 5Ghz first but not 2.4 radio? 

I just reviewed other brands like Aruba / Aerohive, they just have a feature named Band steering to achieve this.

Can Ruckus do well the same as well?

I also find that Ruckus supports Band balancing for an SSID. - I wonder what if I configure only 1% of users connecting to 2.4.

Then let says we have 100 devices that only support 2.4 Radio and connect to this SSID. What is the result of the Ruckus Band balancing for this case?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sanjay_kumar
RUCKUS Team Member

@SmallPotato 

When you enable Band Balancing, it attempts to balance the client load on radios by distributing clients between the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios. This feature is disabled by default. To balance the number of clients connecting to the two radios on an AP, the AP encourages dual-band clients to connect to the 5 GHz band when the configured percentage threshold is reached.

Under the "Percent of clients on 2.4 GHz radio" the value in the % field denotes the threshold above which dual-band clients will be encouraged to connect to the 5 GHz radio rather than the 2.4 GHz radio.

Please take a look on the below article which explains more about this feature.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000002508

Regards,

Sanjay Kumar

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@SmallPotato 

Thank you for the response. 

As mentioned earlier please use the below command. 

Ruckus (Debug)# remote_ap_cli -A "set band-steering  <wlan-name>"

From what i see is you are not giving the Wlan name and its throwing you an error. 

Can you please have wlan name updated and execute the command. 

Regards,

Naresh Kumar