cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request: Generate Guest Pass Keys for network with self service enabled

garrett_collier
New Contributor III
I was trying to configure a wlan, which had self service enabled so that my help desk could simply create a guestpass for someone either in advance or who wasn't able to access their email when our ZD sent out their guestpass key. I contacted support as I was unable to accomplish this. After a few tries, himself, he then excused himself and came back to our call stating that not being able to do this was "by design". 

Is it possible to enable this?

I would think more organizations would want this capability...
7 REPLIES 7

ken_liu_dlob4xe
New Contributor III
If Guest can not access Internet to receive Passkey by email, I think Administrator can login ZD to check the generated Guest pass key via email as key to filter,  and copy/paste out, print or send it to him directly.
And at mean while, we will have a new ZD10.2 release soon which will have more enhancements for Guest functionality. Admin may generate Guest Pass for any type of Guest WLAN in advance. I hope it will help you resolve this problem.

If Guest can not access Internet to receive Passkey by email, I think Administrator can login ZD to check the generated Guest pass key via email as key to filter,  and copy/paste out, print or send it to him directly."
This statement makes no sense, how does one send the passkey directly to a user if they are unable to access the internet?
This is a common issue for us when we have guests, we almost exclusively rely on them having access to email or SMS via their phone.

Admin may generate Guest Pass for any type of Guest WLAN in advance.
This feature is only available if self-service is disabled, the only other option is to create another guest WLAN, which makes no sense..

john_jallade
New Contributor
+1 for this feature request as suggested by the OP

We have a large organization and we utilize the self-service feature for everyday user (vendors and guests) usually 1-3 people at a time, but we also have large groups of guests/visitors 15-30 people that all come at once and all need Wifi access.
Since these are our customers and groups are 15-30+ people all at once, we want to provide an easy check-in experience so we are always asked for a pre-generated guest pass that can be posted in the meeting room so guest can just connect, rather than individually having to enter their information in and wait for each key. It takes a fair amount of time and there is usually some confusion with the sponsor email which can be frustrating for less technical people. This also puts more load on our IT Dept. with so many users needing help, as we've learned over the years "Self Service" isn't really true, more like "assisted service".

I'm surprised your team doesn't see this a real-life scenario, it's fairly common for us and I don't see why this wouldn't be available.