cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating 2 networks, one on 5Ghz one on 2.4 only

kevin_nance
New Contributor
I have an existing Ruckus network that we moved to a new location, they are getting 750 Meg internet so I want to keep them on the 5Ghz network to take advantage of the faster speed.  Problem is a few devices only operate on the 2.4.   It seems the zone director only sets broadcast at the access point not on the network configuration.   How can I create one network that broadcasts in 5Ghz only and a  second network t that only broadcasts in 2.4?
6 REPLIES 6

joshua_lee1
New Contributor III
WLAN groups coupled with AP groups helps. There is a WLAN group override option in the AP group. If you build a WLAN group for "visitors" and a WLAN group for "employees (for example), then you can go to the AP group and assign the visitor WLAN group to the 2.4GHz radio and the employee WLAN group to the 5GHz radio. That way visitors can only connect to 2.4GHz and employees can only connect to 5GHz. Just one scenario.

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
You can use two SSIDs, ie 'WLAN-24g' and 'WLAN-5g' that are only advertised on the single bands, managed

by creating a WLAN group for each one, and applying it to that locations APs in an Access Point group.  Under

the AP group's settings, under Radio B/G/N (2.4 GHz) and Radio A/N/AC (5 GHz) sections, override the WLAN

Group, and choose the 'WLAN-24g' WLAN group under the 2.4 radio section, and your 'WLAN-5g' WLAN group

under the 5 radio section.

kevin_nance
New Contributor
Michael, I tried to do something similar on this site without luck.   I create the new network named 2.4, i created the new Access Point Group but there are several areas to select override system default.     Do I do it in channel range or in radio settings?

Also, I created the 2.4 access group but I can't figure out how to tie a network or wlan group to an Access Point group.

neil_ticktin_io
New Contributor
I'm in the same boat as Kevin. Here's what I'd like to do -- and would love any advice on how to do this via my Zone Director across mutiple access points

1) Two SSIDs -- Roamer and Roamer-IoT
2) Roamer is both 2.4 and 5 Ghz.
3) Roamer-IoT is only 2.4 Ghz.

This way, the IoT devices are segmented to a different WLAN -- but more importantly, can only try to connect via 2.4 Ghz for greater resiliency.

How would I implement this on the ZD? 

Thanks!

Neil