cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client authentication state

alberto_de_la_c
New Contributor III
Hi,

I want to know if an user is authenticated or not. It seems it is not possible via snmp (I asked it before in this forum and I have no response) as there is no OID. I am wondering if it would be possible by requesting it through northbound interface. Has someone try it?

Regards
Alberto.
10 REPLIES 10

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
I doubt you'll get that via SNMP. IT doesn't even make much sense to be able to get it that way. You can get that via syslog.

alberto_de_la_c
New Contributor III
Thanks,

Why not? with other vendors snmp is one way.

Via syslog I am getting joins/disconnects but it is not the real authentication state. I would be easy to ask ZD the status instead of tracking it.

Regards
Alberto.

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
A, ok. Misread your post a bit. I guess it makes some sense, but still not a whole lot.

I'd be interested in knowing why the state is important to you?

alberto_de_la_c
New Contributor III
I use freeradius to authenticate users and I have configured an unique session per user (Simultaneous-Use := 1). Freeradius has its own variable to handle who is authenticate (or you can use a database, of course). But what happens?...In some cases there is a inconsistency between what radius thinks and the reality. For example, in some cases user could be disconnected and the radius server restart at the same time, so I have sticky sessions because Radius thinks user is authenticated but he is not, so it keeps trying to login until radius memory is cleaned. So, the only way to keep consistency is asking ZD the real state of the client.