cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice for a captive portal without a password?

bernard_hamlin
New Contributor
What's the best practice for setting up a captive portal login page without password? I'm already using the guestpass generating features so can't simultaneously set up a guest login page without authentication using the 'out of the box features' .

So I'm setting up hotspot services to redirect to a page where users can simply tick 'I accept the T&Cs' and be on their way (The reason for this is the different SSIDs can get to different network resources).

I can make a login page that simply uses a limited user's credentials to login but this feels wrong - surely there must be a better way to do this?

cheers
Bernard
9 REPLIES 9

alex_ortmanns
New Contributor
Hi Bernard,

Take a look here, I suggest creating a hotspot service, usign a portal page that shows a accept t&c button that will post a general login (username=user & password=user) to the zd.

http://docs.globaltele.com.ua/files/R... Docs/WISPr/WISPR_app_note_finaledit2.pdf

alex_ortmanns
New Contributor
Example

add user 'user' to the local db

Free (as beer) Wireless Internet Service

function get_param(name)
{
if (location.href.indexOf("?") >= 0) {
var query=location.href.split("?")[1];
var params=query.split("&");
for (var i = 0; i < params.length; i ++) {
value_pair=params[i].split("=");
if (value_pair[0] == name)
return unescape(value_pair[1]);
}
}
return "";
}

Free (as beer) Wireless

Usage policy: Do no evil. blah blah blah...

document.write('

');

Hello i'm starting to do a captive portal i'm following you example but i'm struggling with the authentication part. Can you help me? first of all i don't have the ZD in the same lan, neither the web-server, all have public ip's, i thing the problem is in the Post method, i already changed to https but .. nothing.

bernard_hamlin
New Contributor
Hi Alex,

That's great - thank you. I ended up doing almost exactly that and confirmed with ruckus support that this a recommended way to do it. Something in me just didn't like the hidden username/password. Also the timeout for users is based on MAC so sharing a username doesn't change the timeout settings 🙂

Cheers!

Bernard