cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using Cacti?

john_case_56682
New Contributor II
I am running Cacti for monitoring our network, and would like to monitor the Zone Director as well. What I'm running into is that there are no Cacti templates out there and I'm not comfortable building my own. Has anybody built a Cacti template that monitors the ZD or APs?
64 REPLIES 64

tom_french_6660
New Contributor III
I keep getting snmp error when I build out the AP.

rodrigo_soares_
New Contributor II
I am also behind a template for zabbix .
I need to access the ZD1100 how many simultaneous connections via SNMP have in each AP .
This is a very difficult task , because I could not have any reference material that can help me with my problem .

julius_kisieli1
New Contributor III
Hi Rodrigo,

I had a similar requirement, I don't use zabbix though, I use PRTG but the process was the same. You cannot query the director for the number of clients that are connected to each AP, you need to query each AP individually. I had created a custom OID sensor with the following value on each AP:

This gave me the number of clients connected to that AP.

rodrigo_soares_
New Contributor II
Hi Julius ,
Thank you very much for your help, so to know that the settings should be performed in AP already gave me a better direction.
I'll probably have to do a trigger or something in zabbix to collect this information . In Zabbix is a little tricky to make custom components .
I'll keep trying.

dilojunior
New Contributor III
Just a reminder.. you gotta use SNMPv2 for query on APs (we are still not able to work with v3) and you will find the number of active clients for each Radio.. you just need to sum them..

I wasn't the one responsible to move from Cacti to Zabbix, now I just monitor the graphs :)
But as far as I know Zabbix it's a little bit more complicated. I don't know if I could simply export a template as we did on Cacti but I'll check with our Zabbix master here.. he told me it take a time to implement all the auto-discovery features, templates, applications, triggers a lot of stuff that I don't have a clue.. but now if we connect a new AP it will automatically find it and graph it and even if we deploy a new SSID it will do the same. Pretty awesome 🙂