cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartzone 100 and R730 Reboots/ Offline Issue

kevin_7278725
New Contributor III
Is anyone having issues with R730's randomly going Offline and requiring the AP to be rebooted in order to get it back online?  We have been seeing this issue for about 30 days now and support has been unable to tell us why the R730's are doing this.  The AP's are inaccessible most of the time when the issue happens, but sometimes we are able to still ping the AP and actually SSH to the login prompt, but the admin account/password will fail.  Once we power cycle the AP it works fine again.   When the issue is happening the AP is still accepting clients but it has no network access so those clients are broken.  It is very frustrating and Ruckus support has been no help.  The R730's are connected to Ruckus ICX 7650's via 5Gb multigig ports.  The switches report no problems and there are other AP's on the same switch at the time that have no issue, so the problem is just random Access Point specific.  The issue is completely random, no pattern can be found, other than support telling us they are seeing AP kernel panics and that they can't tell us why or how to make stop.   

Smartzone 100 version is 5.1.2.0.302 - which support had us upgrade to as they said that would fix the kernel panics - It has not

R730 version -  5.1.2.0.373

A few of the R730's have not been able to recover from this issue after a reboot and have had to be RMA'd.  Some of them will automatically reboot after 15-30 mins, but if we manually reboot them they typically come back online and work.  Was curious if any else is experiencing this issue with R730's, Smartzone 100's, and ICX 7650's?  

63 REPLIES 63

mario_javier_ga
New Contributor II

Hi Kevin, I have a similar situation, but the reference of AP's and controller is different, however, the behavior is the same, and like you I could not have a diagnosis by Ruckus support.

kevin_7278725
New Contributor III
Thanks Mario.  Would you mind telling me the model AP's and version of AP and controller you are running.  It may help me argue with support more as they have been very unhelpful and just keep asking for more and more logs.  Which the logs are all the same and show their AP's doing kernel panics and then the behavior is either a complete lockup of the AP or a reboot.  3 times the units have bricked themselves and even though we ask for the reason on the RMA we get back that they destroyed the units and can't provide a reason as we have to ask for a reason when we open the RMA.  We do that and still don't get a reason.  Horrible support.

Kevin, in the network you have AP of different references, R720, T310, among others, the difficulty arises in all references with the same behavior that you mention, we have tested with vSZ in the cloud and on-premise, and it continues With the same problem, the version currently in the group is 5.1.2.0.302, but we have experienced the same with several firmware from the first version 5.1.1.

Do you still have your case open with support and have they provided you any guidance to fix the issue?  We are getting no where with them