cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus and Cisco WLANs covering the same area?

tier_melk
New Contributor II
Hi Guys,

I need some advise. We currently have a corporate Cisco WLAN running in our building which connects us to the corporate LAN. We would like to deploy a Ruckus WLAN to provide unrestricted internet access mainly for mobile devices. So the Ruckus WLAN will be completely separate from the Cisco WLAN and LAN.

We have 16 Cisco AP`s so I guess we would require around the same number of Ruckus AP`s with a ZD 1100.

Would we experience issues with interference with a setup like this? Or any other issues we should be considering?

Thanks,
7 REPLIES 7

srinivas_kudama
New Contributor II
If the Access Point's are near by, they will definitely interfere with each other which may cause poor client connectivity and packet drop issues.
We strongly recommend to do a site survey before deploying the Access Points so that you can avoid interference to some extent.

Thanks,
Srini

tier_melk
New Contributor II
Thanks Srini. Is is possible to cover the same area without interference?

Hugo

keith_redfield
Valued Contributor II
Turn off the Cisco's 🙂

(seriously...you can serve both your corporate and public access requirements with just the Ruckus gear. To be fair, probably the Cisco's can do the same but you'd have to check with them on specifics.)

As Srini notes, spectrum is spectrum - if the Cisco's are properly deployed they are using all of it.

And you likely won't need quite as many AP's using our gear, but a site analysis is required to validate that.

srinivas_kudama
New Contributor II
The only way that we can avoid the interference is by using different channels.
For example:
If you want to place Cisco and Ruckus AP's in the same location/place then,
In 2.4 GHz; If Cisco is using channel 1 then assign a static Channel 6 or 11 to Ruckus AP's so that they will not interfere with each other and vice-versa.

I strongly recommend to do a site survey if you have multiple AP's at the same location so that they can place the AP's accordingly to avoid high interference and to get best performance from the AP's.

Thanks,
Srini