cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router recommendations

vincent_bova
New Contributor II
Hello, we are new to the product and look forward to using the product for all of our installations. Just wanted to get some router recommendations and find out what routers are commonly being used to interface and work with Ruckus AP.

Also, we will be installing Ruckus in a model home and prefer to use the Ruckus for wireless signal only. Not sure if you guys are using wireless routers and turning off broadcast or if you are using wired routers (which is our preference).

Thank you, appreciate your input.
15 REPLIES 15

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
What kind of a nail do you have?

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
If it's a home user you can start with 2130, a SOHO go for 2920 or higher

vincent_bova
New Contributor II
House is just shy of 5K SQ FT, but using a good amount of high band devices such as media players, multi user wireless, monitoring devices, etc. Using 2 7372 APs and looking for a router.

Thanks

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
Go for the new 2960. It should be fine.

keith_redfield
Valued Contributor II
I'll just add...while not for the security paranoid, our AP's themselves block non-established inbound traffic and perform NAT - which is about 90% of what a SOHO router/firewall does.

So the selection should mainly be based on other features that might be important such as web content filtering, application security, deep packet inspection, VPN etc that more sophisticated firewalls provide (virtually all soho "routers" are actually firewalls by definition - they block by default)

The double-NAT usually introduced by using another product can also make things a bit more complex when you do want to introduce traffic (such as to a home NAS)

FWIW I plug straight into my cable modem - no router/firewall (but I also am all Mac...) And no I won't tell you my IP address 🙂