cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring doorbell -- 2.4 ghz connection only

rich47
New Contributor
I recently installed a Ring 2 video doorbell at my house.  It is having problems maintaining a connection to my APs even though the wifi speed at the location of the doorbell (outside my house) consistently has plenty of bandwidth and speed.  When I contacted Ring about this, they said one issue may be that the doorbell can only connect to a 2.4 signal, so if the AP is alternating between 2.4 and 5.0 signals, the doorbell signal may drop.  Is there a way to set it up so that the doorbell always connects with a 2.4 signal?
6 REPLIES 6

andrea_coppini
Contributor II
APs don’t alternate between 2.4 and 5, they have two separate radios so they handle both simultaneously and separately.

What might be impacting the Ring2 is a channel change. Enterprise grade APs continuously monitor the environment and sometimes change channels if they see that the channel they are on is becoming noisy. Some consumer-grade devices do not like that, so try to set the 2.4ghz channel statically on the AP.

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Ring 2 doorbell radio may not be high level, perhaps only uses channels 1, 6, and 11.
You might statically configure the 2.4g radio on the AP nearest to it, on one of these channels.

robert_lowe_722
Contributor III
Agreed, imagine that channelfly is enabled on the AP/AP's and the RING unit is having a hard time keeping up with channel changes. Suggest you either reduce channels to 1,6,11 and change from channelfly to background scanning with a longer period between scans or go static

terri_perez_1gk
New Contributor
Well, the Ring Video Doorbell 2 is a one of the modest, and additional update to the original Ring Video Doorbell. I know some of the setup procedure is seriously frustrating because last week I had too had installed it and I was also having the same issue. Then I had called up the local electricians in Bala Cynwyd PA area where they had set it up the doorbell with a 2.4 signal. I think you should consult some professionals or you can contact again the Ring and ask for a solution on how to do it.