cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola MC9090 handhelds and 7363 Access Points with Zone Director

michael_daracz
New Contributor II
I have 4 motorola handheld guns roaming between 6 overlapping 7363 access points with Zone Director 1100. The guns are running a simple wavelink telnet application. They are sitting on a separate open WLAN with no authenticaion but with an MAC ACL. Intermittently, the guns are having problems re-establishing a link to the access point(bars that indicate signal strength go from full to none, and the handheld indicates that it lost connection with the server), even though they are within the range of them. It doesn't happen often but its annoying enough. It usually takes 10 - 20 seconds to re establish a link. What settings should I check? Thank you!

I
40 REPLIES 40

as stated in the first comment above it's the ZoneDirector CLI.

Its AP CLI command. You can't currently do it from the ZD CLI (apart from remote_ap_cli which is no use because the wlanid may vary by AP).

julius_kisieli1
New Contributor III
Morning everyone,

So I have upgraded to 9.6.2.0.13 this morning and implemented all the recommended setting, just to recap were:

*Enable-ofdm
*BSS min rate to 12
*DTIM to 5

I went onto the warehouse floor to test with our packers and things were not looking good, the wireless signal dropped by about 30% and the devices' were dropping off the network like flies and then taking a minute or so to reconnect.

I went back to my office and disabled "Enable-ofdm", went back onto the floor with the guys and there was no improvement. Back to the office and disabled "BSS min rate", that seemed to have done some good as the signal strength was back up and the devices were responding quicker and were not dropping off.

Currently DTIM is left at 5.

I am deducing from this that BSS min rate was not agreeing with our network, why would that be?

My question to everyone is if I enable Enable-OFDM would that work without BSS min rate, would it be advantageous or should I leave it off, what advantage would enabling Enable-OFDB bring?

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Eddie_Felmer
New Contributor III
OFDM-only will disable 11b (CCK rates) and set management rate at 6Mbps.

BSS min rate = 12 will set management frame rate at 12Mbps - this will effectively shrink the coverage area as higher data rate packets don't travel so far and probably why you were seeing less coverage. I wouldn't expect 30% difference in coverage, so your APs must be well spaced or there is high attenuation between them already.

julius_kisieli1
New Contributor III
Thanks Eddie,

I am going to try next week to enable OFDM-only and see what that does but I will be keeping BSS min rate off. But I think that the hand held units will not like OFDM-only.

We have 8 AP's in our ware house they are about 15-20 meters apart mounted on the roof, the roof is about 10 meters high. Is that too far apart? Should we get more?