cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would I isolate one SSID but not the other with ZF2942 APs?

daniel_beaver_6
New Contributor II
So we run hotels, and at these hotels we generally isolate the wireless networks; in this case, we have applied the 'bridge to WAN' mode on the AP to accomplish this.  We have a conference group coming in that needs a private, un-isolated network; how might we accomplish this without vlans?

I have tried setting up a local subnet to hand out its own IP range, which gave out IP addresses, but devices were not reaching our router.  When using this 'Bridge NAT and route to WAN' option, how does this work?  Do the guests get an IP with default gateway of the AP, and then the AP routes their traffic to its default gateway?  Does it send this data to the router with the same IP as the guest device, or does it bridge it through the APs IP address?  
Basically, how is this supposed to be used?  It seems to me that it tries to reach the APs' d/g with the client's IP, while the client's subnet on this IP must be outside of the subnet of the usual network, meaning the router's interface would have to have at least two IP addresses

I have checked documentation and these 'modes' don't seem to be mentioned anywhere within the 2942 manual
3 REPLIES 3

abilash_p_r
Contributor
Hi Daniel,

I assume that these APs are running on Standalone Firmware 9.7 if that is wrong please correct me. When you are using local subnet option, "Packet forwarding mode" has to be set to "Local Subnet NAT and Route to WAN", here client is given an IP from the local subnet with the Gateway being the one which is set in "Local IP address" (Configuration>>Local Subnet). The AP does an internal NAT of local subnet ip (client IP) to AP's ip address (IP address assigned by router), this is how clients traffic reaches internet.

Please download the 9.7 user guide, using the below link I assume that you should have already reviewed it, if not please take a look and check for "Packet Forwarding Modes", I hope it helps.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/387-zoneflex-release-9-7-indoor-ap-user-guide

Should you require any more information please keep me posted, I would be glad to assist.

Regards,
Abilash PR.

daniel_beaver_6
New Contributor II
You are correct, I forgot to mention they are on Standalone 9.7.0.0.220

Thank you, that support document is what I was looking for but had trouble finding.

That description of the local subnet option sounds like what we wanted, however when we tried it, the guest devices could not get online despite the AP being online.  The guest devices would basically be bridged through the AP, such that the router should only ever see the APs' IP address, correct?  So if the AP is online, clients should be online without any further configuration?  I expected this could be the case, but in our testing the clients could not get online with this configuration

abilash_p_r
Contributor
Hi Daniel,

It looks like that need to investigated and isolate the issue, could you open a ticket with support ?

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us  

Thank you,

Regards,
Abilash PR.