cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend signal range / increase signal strength of root ap

max_gbel
New Contributor III
Hi, i'm using s zd1200 two R500 and one H500 which cover two households with around 250 sq meters in total. The mesh ap placed furthest from the root ap has a variable signal strength of 25-40% to the root ap. Now I'm actually looking to increase that signal strength because I believe that this variable signal strength (especially when down to 25%) is the root cause for occasional heartbeat loss.
My question now is if a R600, R700 or even a R610 or R710 would get me that increase in signal strength? I unfortunately don't have the possibility to add another AP between that root ap and mesh ap in question.

Any suggestions or real world experience would be highly appreciated!

Thx Max
25 REPLIES 25

alan_frizzell
New Contributor II
I currently operate a zd1200 and 28 ap's. your distance between ap's is an issue at 250 meters you are extending the range to far. The maximum distance between ap's to obtain a strong signal is 400ft. Then you still have variables to contend with. Adding another ap will result in multiple hops causing duration loss, slow connection and drops. If you have to go that far add a Poe switch in the middle and run cat6 or run fiber from the zd to the second ap.

max_o_driscoll
Valued Contributor
"250 sq meters in total" - area not distance between APs, that would be impressive.

Of course distance between them is an issue, line of sight, what's in the way, wall construction, trees, elevation of one site to other for instance.

max_gbel
New Contributor III
Distance between root ap and mesh ap is around 12 meters but has two concrete walls and 2 plasterboard walls in between. However they are on the same floor.

alan_frizzell
New Contributor II
Ok, I do apologize you are inside, all of mine are outside. I do not know what to do in that case.