cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Ruckus "Limit D-PSK generation per user to devices" mean you can create D-PSKs allowing a different number from each other?

peter_dowdle
New Contributor II
When creating D-PSKs for devices I was a little unsure what the "Limit D-PSK generation per user to X devices" accually allowed you to do.
Does it mean that you can generate two batches of D-PSKs, one that allows 1 device to connect using DPSK and another that allows you to connect 3 devices using another DPSK?
5 REPLIES 5

martin_kane
Contributor
My understanding of the DPSK limit is that it means that a single user (username) can only have "x" devices maximum attached to the WLAN under their username. One use is to stop people from sharing their username and password with others and giving them access to the network under their username.

In my school, I set a limit to 4 devices per user, and if there is any specific need for a student to have more than 4, then I temporarily turn it off, create the dPSK and turn it on again.

More often than not a student will say "But I don't have that device any longer" in which case I just delete the DPSK entry for the old device which enables them another slot in their limit of "x" devices :)

Hope this helps.

Martin

peter_dowdle
New Contributor II
Thanks, that does indeed help.
A follow up question is If you generate DPSKs setting the limit to 4 devices can you then change the limit to 3 devices and then generate more keys for that number of devices and have dpsks that allow 4 devices and 3 devices working simultaneously?

martin_kane
Contributor
It seems to me that the ZD checks the limit when users APPLY for a DPSK. So a user with 10 devices currently connected with 10 DPSKs will not notice a limit applied today for a maximum of 4 DPSKs per user, until they come to renew one of their device's DPSK.

peter_dowdle
New Contributor II
That would make sense from the behavior I have been observing. Despite issuing DPSKs that should allow 3 devices to be attached. IF the limit option is set to one, then only one device is allowed to be attached.