cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing 2.4ghz channels?

bob_williamson
New Contributor III
I am finding that I need to insert more access points into our system to give better coverage for our weaker devices. We have roughly 34 APs: 7363s, 7962s and 7372s

As I am doing this, I am noticing that the APs are seeing a lot more of the other APs, especially in the 2.4ghz channels. I was running the 2.4ghz in a three channel mode to only allow channels 1, 6 and 11.

If the APs are seeing more APs on the same channel, shouldn't that cause some problems?

Would it not be beneficial to run all 11 channels? Sure there are some overlap, but I would think it would be easier to avoid co channel interference.

Lastly, 9.7 firmware includes an option to "disable channelfly after x minutes", from what I gather it also remembers the channelfly data per AP. To me this seems like the perfect solution: Enable all 11 channels, run channel fly for a couple of days, let channelfly figure which channel is best on which AP, and then check the "disable after x minutes" option leaving the APs on the channel which channefly likes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Bob
5 REPLIES 5

robert_brooks_6
New Contributor
Hi - This is an interesting conversation as I have been looking into this myself recently and have just changed from a full 11 channel 2.4ghz available to restricting available channels to just 1,6 and 11. I understand that Beamflex will "point' the RF at the client but of course in a dense environment you also have to think about the clients that are not able to direct their RF energy. So we come back to - I think - just enabling 1,6, and 11 in dense environments ( so nothing overlaps and things on the same channel co-operate ).

I struggle with what is the best practice though ?